Glasgow Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Glasgow's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Scotstoun Tennis Centre
Bookings are on a ‘Pay as you go’ basis. You can book 7 days in advance if you are a Glasgow Club member (see website for details).
Mon - Wed: 7am - 9.45pm
Sat: 9am - 5pm
Indoors £17.90 (There is a ‘walk on rate’; if you arrive 30 minutes before the hour you can get a court for £10.90)
There is a 10% discount for Glasgow Club members on full price courts (discludes walk on rate).
Gorbals Tennis Centre
Bookings are on a ‘Pay as you go’ basis. You can book 7 days in advance if you are a member (see site information).
Monday-Friday: 9am - 9pm
Saturday: 9am - 4pm
Peak (Monday-Friday 4pm onwards and weekends 9am-1pm) £17.90
Offpeak: (Monday-Friday 9am-4pm and weekends 2pm onwards) £10
Leisure card members get 10% off peak time courts.
Following a £350,000 upgrade four brand new, floodlit courts were opened in April, 2013.
Mon - Wed: 10am-9pm; Weekends 9am-6pm
Kelvingrove Park Tennis
Six brand new floodlit courts in the city centre. The centre is currently undergoing a major refurbishment.
Currently free to use.
Four brand new floodlit courts.
Mon-Wed 10am-9pm; Thurs-Sun 9am-6pm
Free to use.
Five floodlit courts. The Queens Park Community Tennis Club offer coaching sessions for all ages in the park.
Mon-Fri 11am-9pm; Sat 9.30am-7pm; Sun 12noon-9pm
Singles Round 23 | Thursday 16 July to Wednesday 9 September 2015 (Mid-point: Wednesday 12 August 2015)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Pauline Taylor 7.2 [W2] 4
- Blair Edward 10.2 [W1, L2] 4 includes two bonus points
- Awad Alotibe 10.2 [W1] 2
- Dan Maroni 10 [W1] 2
- Jonathan Sawyers [L2] 2
- David Brennan 9.1 [L1] 1
- "Jonathan deserve to win this match as he played a great tennis.
Thank you Jonathan great and kind man " -- Awad
- "Excellent match indoors at Newlands, Blair gets everything back and his speed around the court caught (can i say that?!) me out several times! Thanks for an enjoyable game and good luck with your other games :P" -- Dan
- "Fantastic battle! We had similar styles of play and considering David has only played for a couple of years he was very good. Will enjoy meeting up with him to practise. " -- Pauline
- "Fun, but gruelling match with Jonathan at Kelvingrove. Managed to scramble my way to a tie-break in the second and it seemed fortune was on my side with a couple of net cords going my way and a slip fromJonathan handing me the decisive point. Unfortunately Jonathan suffered a bout of cramp in the decider and despite struggling manfully on was not able to chase down the shots he'd so easily dealt with earlier. Thanks for playing on and good luck with the rest Jonathan." -- Blair
- "Played a friendly match against Blair indoors and Newlands. His fitness is excellent and we had some great rallies- the ball just kept coming back! " -- Pauline
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- Kevin Kelly [W1, UF1] 3
- Ivan Rolfe 10.1 [W1, L1] 3
- Calum MacLennan 8.2 [W1] 2
- Gordon Bain 10.1 [L2, UF1] 2
- Iain McQuade 9.2
- Matt Maycock 9.2
- "Enjoyed my match with Ivan today one of the longest I've played in the league and we still have a deciding set. Ivan ran away with first set and the second set was a bit of a roller coaster which I just about managed to win, one rally in the middle of the second set felt like it was longer than some of the sets I've played previously! Looking forward to decider next week" -- Kevin
- "Another close match just shy of 3 hrs, still wondering how we both were standing at the end! Some cracking rallies.. thanks again Gordon." -- Ivan
- "Really enjoyed the game with Gordon very even match and had to stop sadly due to time being against us but looking forward to the deciding set" -- Kevin
- "really enjoyed playing Gordon, score flatters me as there were lots of close games and great rallys. " -- Calum
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Frank Reid 10.2 [W2, L2] 7 includes two bonus points
- Bryan Mawer [W1, L2, UF1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Stewart Campbell 10.2 [W1, UF1] 3
- Radoslaw Penar 10.2 [W1, L1] 3
- Andy Rhattigan [W1, L1] 3
- Allan Sampson 10.2 [W1, L1] 2
- "After a straightforward first set Bryan raced to a 4-0 lead in the second as I had no answer to his cross court forehand. I dug deep to level the set at 4-4 with many deuce games but Bryan regained his composure, eventually winning 7-5 to level the match. We ran out of time after 2 hours play with the score at 3-2 in the final set. " -- Stewart
- "Allan raced to a 3-0 lead in the first set but i was soon on level terms and eventually edged the set 6-4. The first set was interrupted briefly by a rain shower but during the second set the heavens opened and the heavy rain flooded the courts which meant we had to abandon the game. All to play for when we resume the match next week............" -- Stewart
- "After an unscheduled tour of Hamilton's finest tennis courts, I finally found Allan's club to finish our match. Allan fought hard to take the second set to a tie-break but I just managed to hold on to prevent a third set. Thanks for the match Allan." --
- "Tight match; lots of service breaks both ways; Radoslaw developing a great sliced serve that is pretty hard to anticipate." -- Frank
- "Lovely evening match on the relatively new courts at Knightswood; Fairly even/close match, with Andy hitting a number of clean passing shots, and consistently returning everything, thus took me all the way. " -- Frank
- "Bryan is a good player, lost to him last year so I am pretty happy with the result. We had some long decent rallies and quite a few deuce games. I think that serve was the key today, and the luck was on my side:) Bryan, good luck with the rest of your matches" -- Radoslaw
- "Nice to get my first match played, glad rain stayed off. Really tight game as the scoreline suggests (with two tie breaks!). Very much enjoyed the match with Bryan, and look forward to playing more games soon." -- Andy
- "A gentlemen on the court, Frank battled back superbly to take the second set. I had no answer to his net play. Won the third as we had both ran out of steam. Best wishes to Frank" -- Bryan
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- William Heenan 10.1 [W3, L2] 8 includes two bonus points
- Neil Stephen 10.2 [W2] 4
- Evgenia Balashova [W2, UF1] 4
- Michael Spafford 10.1 [W1, L1, UF1] 3
- Pearce Stewart 10.1 [L1] 1 withdrawn
- Remi Follet 10.2 [L2] 1
- Judy Lockhart 10.2 [L2]
- "Thanks to William for hosting me at Virgin Active Milngavie. Enjoyable match as always, Neil" -- Neil
- "I thoroughly enjoyed my time on court with Judy. It may not be like some of those I'll die before I lose matchups from the past but it's exactly the sort of match I'm looking for just now. My ailing wrist is thankful for any match it gets through in one piece and this perfectly suited that. It's also great to see more female faces playing in the league. I'd be more than happy to play Judy again if our paths cross again in the future." -- Michael
- "A 2 1/2 hour match at Scotstoun. A very long game in the second set, with an unbelievable amount of deuces. Good fun but we were both tired at the end" -- Neil
SINGLES | GROUP 5
- Brian Thoirs 10.2 [W1] 2
- Phil Connor [L1]
- Alice Clarke 10.2
- Gavin Lundholm 9.2
- Craig Stewart 10.2
- Rosi O'Neill
SINGLES | GROUP 6
- Jakub Czarnik 10.2
- Neil Crossan 10.2
- Jim Howie 10.2
- James Sloan 10.2
- Ed Wright
- Euan Wilson
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Glasgow archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Glasgow.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)