Haringey Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Haringey's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
Bruce Castle Park
Five newly resurfaced courts in beautiful parkland, with plans for a new café, operated by Robby Sukhdeo and the Pavilion Cafe team. These are the home courts of the league - and this league is designed to offer adult players at Bruce Castle an opportunity to play more friendly, competitive tennis.
Travel - Bus 149, 259, 279, 318, 349, W3; Train White Hart Lane, Bruce Grove.
Travel - Bus 67, 341; Tube: Seven Sisters
Free to use.
Travel - Bus 67, 230, 341, W4; Tube Turnpike Lane
Free to use.
Seven excellent courts (plus two mini courts).
Travel info - Bus 29, 141, 210, 253, 254, 259, 279, 341, W3, W5, W7; Tube Finsbury Park, Manor House; Train Finsbury Park.
Free to use.
Down Lane Recreation Ground
Travel - Bus 41, 123, 149, 243, 259, 279, 318, 341, 349, 476, W4; Tube Tottenham Hale; Train Bruce Grove, Tottenham Hale
Free to use.
These are the home courts of the Pavilion Tennis league. The Pavilion is a very friendly tennis centre operating on public courts which means it is genuinely accessible and open to all. As well as great, recently refurbished tennis courts, the centre has an excellent cafe and offers numerous other sporting and social facilities. The centre is run by Robby Sukhdeo (right) and has been awarded Beacon status by the Tennis Foundation.
Travel - Bus 102, 184, 299, Tube Bounds Green Wood Green, Train Alexandra Palace
Open 9am - 9pm. Check with venue for use of floodlights
£6.00 (£5 card holders). Floodlights £11 (£10). The annual booking card offers online courts bookings (7 days in advance) and costs £50.
Free to use.
White Hart Lane Recreation Ground
Four floodlit courts.
Travel - Bus W3, W4; Tube: Wood Green; Trian White Hart Lane.
Mon - Fri: 10am-10pm; weekends: 9am-5pm
£2/hour per person.
Singles Round 27 | Thursday 14 May to Wednesday 8 July 2015 (Mid-point: Wednesday 10 June 2015)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Jeremy Woolley [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Charlie Clinton 8.2 [W3, L3] 8 includes two bonus points
- Daniel Britten 9.2 [W2, L1] 7 includes two bonus points
- Giorgio Salvi 9.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Aleksandar Natovski [L1] 1
- Stefan Harper-Pryce 9.2 [L2] 1
- Ben Reynolds [L2]
- Alex Carpignano 10.1 withdrawn
- "Stefan staged a great comeback from 5-1 to 5-4 in the first, but I clinched the set and kept a rhythm to take the second. Summer is here..." -- Jeremy
- "A real marathon - enough deuces to last all year and 2 match points saved by Daniel to take it to 3 sets. Enjoyable game, thanks" -- Jeremy
- "A much closer match than in a previous round, plenty of long rallies and winners from both sides. A few howlers from both sides too though! Enjoyable match in the bubble" -- Jeremy
- " gruelling 3 hour match which could hardly have been closer. Things looked dodgy at 4-2 down in the third, and Alex had a point for a 5-3 lead. Thankfully I managed to hold on and close out only my second win against Aleks in numerous attempts" -- Charlie
- "A brilliant match, 2 very close sets with great rallies and shots from both of us. Starting to feel like summer!" -- Jeremy
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- Stephen Young 9.1 [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Michele Mazza 9.1 [W3] 6
- Oliver Gossage 9.1 [W2, L1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Jay Lalljee 10.1 [W1, L4, UF1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Chris Ward 8.2 [W1, L4] 5 includes two bonus points
- Nathan Lela 10.1 [W1, L2] 5 includes two bonus points
- Pierre Hyde 10.1 [L1, UF1] 1
- Graham Barrett
- "Very pleased to survive a second-set comeback from Chris and beat him on a court on which he was previously undefeated!" -- Jay
- "2 gruelling hours and New River threw us out! To be completed at a later date..." -- Pierre
- "Good game thanks Jay. Particularly the 2nd set. Let me know if you’re ever around for another game" -- Oliver
- "I greatly enjoyed pitting my tennis-playing wits against Michele again, whose supremely elegant net play is above my grade. It would have been nice to have taken a set (I had the odd chance) but class won out. Still, it was a lot closer than our previous match." -- Chris
- "After the opening six games were shared, Nathan's serve, at its best swingy and awkward to deal with, took a downturn while mine enjoyed one of its all-too-rare spells of consistent effectiveness and that proved decisive. On another day the outcome could be very different" -- Chris
- "In our match played initially against the Gothic background of lowering skies and lightning flashes over Ally Pally, Oli overcooked things in the first set, gifting me too many points. When he changed to an approach based on patience and perseverance , this, coupled with my ability to keep more or less anything in play if with no great style, meant rallies of 20-30 shots became commonplace. Oli deservedly shaded it- fair play to him for turning the match round" -- Chris
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Moby Longinotto 10.2 [W6] 14 includes two bonus points
- Stuart Younger 9.2 [W4, L1] 10 includes two bonus points
- Jaroslaw Laka 10 [W2, L1] 6 includes two bonus points
- Brett Galloway 8.2 [W2, L3] 6 includes two bonus points
- Michael Ross 8.2 [W1, L6] 6 includes two bonus points
- Max Olds 9.1 [W2, L1] 4
- Norman Freshney 9.2 [W1, L4] 4 includes two bonus points
- Raphael Abraham [W1, L3] 3
- "Good game this one on a windy but sunny evening in Bruce Castle. Stuart was coming up with some big serves and we played some decent rallies - nice winners on both sides. Best game so far great fun as well. My old legs are tired after two matches in two days. " -- Moby
- "Went to meet Rapha at his great tennis club. It's really a nice place in leafy Harringey near Priory Park. The courts are shale like clay which was perfect for my game. The match was really fun, we played a third set that was much closer. Sun was shining was great stuff-- Moby" -- Moby
- "Very windy day and the ball was going everywhere but was a fun game." -- Moby
- "An epic encounter played over 2 days! Begun on Friday evening until rain and darkness descended with the score poised at one set all. Michael kindly came back to Fortis Green to finish the match on Sunday morning. Neither of us very consistent but some very close multi-deuce games and good fun all round. " -- Raphael
- "Good game, best I've played in a long time. Max was hitting all the winners - Really good fun." -- Moby
- "Beautiful day and really good competitive game. Really enjoyed it, and deserved to be a closer scoreline. " -- Stuart
- "good game nice evening - one or two good rallies and a few deuce games - some decent lobs in the tighter games. Great stuff" -- Moby
- "Last time we played it was really close, but Jaroslaw didn't hit his stride today. All the same, it was closer than the result looks." -- Stuart
- "A windy swirly evening in South Tottenham with low sunshine ... Nice game of tennis played in good sporting spirits. Great to be in the league." -- Moby
- "Beautiful courts at the club at Fortis Green, great weather and fun game. Close second set - relieved it didn't go to a third, as the tide was turning!" -- Stuart
SINGLES | GROUP 4
- Zac Sargusingh 10.1 [W2, L2] 7 includes two bonus points
- Henry Firth 10.2 [W1, L3] 5 includes two bonus points
- An Ngo 9.2 [W2] 4
- Thomas O'Brien [W1] 2
- Kevin Hall 10.1 [W1] 2
- Pedro Augusto Teixeira de Freitas 10.2 [L2]
- Tom Evans 10.2
- "A tough and very close match" -- Kevin
SINGLES | GROUP 5
- James Francois 10.2 [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Luther Wainwright 10.2 [W4, L1] 10 includes two bonus points
- Dawid Dereszewski 10.2 [W2, L2] 6 includes two bonus points
- Robert Turner 8.2 [W1, L3] 5 includes two bonus points
- David Owen 10.1 [L4] 3 includes two bonus points
- Lucio Versaggi 10.2 [L1]
- "A very close match" -- Luther
- "We had lots of fun with the game and stayed longer to do some rallys after, where Robert dominated. Couple of nice balls from both side. Really enjoyed the game. Thanks!" -- Dawid
- "A very close and tough match :) I managed to push over the line against some excellent serving from Dawid... Really enjoying the league at the moment and would just like to say thank you to James the other day for showing me where I need to be!" -- Luther
- "A good natured match with some great shots by both players" -- Robert
SINGLES | GROUP 6
- Eric Langham 10.2 [W1] 2
- Mauro Lafico 10.1 [W1, L1] 2
- Karl Fichtel 9.1 [W1, L1] 2
- Janice Molyneux 10.2 [L1]
- Amanda Gibson 10.2
- Caroline Wishney 10.1
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Haringey archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Haringey.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)