Barnes Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Barnes's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Interested in this League?
Join The League
New rounds for the Barnes league start regularly. See next round dates and entry fees above. Entries close the Monday before a round starts. You are never committed to joining more than one round and round usually last eight weeks (ten weeks where we also run doubles rounds).
We offer unbelievable prices on tennis balls. And league members get extra savings!
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
New to the league?
Click on the round you want to join (see the links above) and we will guide you though the process! You will be asked to pay the round fee and complete the player questionnaire which will help us get you great matches.
If you would like to register before you commit to a round, complete the form here...
Choose the round you wish to join from your account page, or choose from the links at the top of the page. And let the tennis begin!
If there is anything else you need help with contact us and we will be happy to help!
A fantastic 52-acre multi-sports facility boasting 16 courts (10 hard courts and 6 astro). Seven of the hard courts were completely refurbished in 2013 and the other 3 upgraded making this a brilliant place to play. Please note, during term time, the courts are frequently used by schools until 4/5pm. There is usually availability on the astroturf but do check with the venue.
Peak: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm; Off peak: After 5pm and weekends (there are no floodlights)
Hard courts £7.30 per hour, £5.40 off peak; Astroturf £7.90 peak, £6.25 off peak. Prices correct as of 07.01.14.
Barn Elms Sports Trust
Six great courts. Following a substantial investment, Barn Elms Sports Trust opened 3 purpose-built & 3 multi-use courts in September 2012. Courts 1-3 are designed to the higher tennis requirements & specifications. Courts 4-6 are naturally set up for tennis. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org www.bestfields.co.uk/
Mon- Fri: 9am - 7pm
Sat- Sun: 8am - 6pm
£7 per hour from 1 April 2014. No membership required. Book at http://besttennis.co.uk/court-bookings/ where you can check the availability for the next 7 days, reserve a court and pay online through Paypal or Credit Card. Alternatively, visit the BEST Office onsite (by Tennis Court 1) to make a cash payment for the court or ball machine.
Dukes Meadows Tennis Centre
Dukes Meadows Golf & Tennis, just over the river from Barnes and within easy walking distance, is a superb pay and play facility. Bookings can be made 2 days in advance by anyone, and 7 days in advance with payment of £60 registration fee. For more information see the centre's website.
Monday - Sunday
Indoor Courts 7am-10pm;
Outdoor Courts 7am-10pm
Peak: Monday-Friday 4pm onwards, weekends & bank holidays
Indoor: Peak £22.00, off-peak £16.00;
Outdoor: Peak £10, off-peak £8.00
Courts charged in full if cancelled within 48 hours of booking.
Barnes Tennis Club
Three hard courts but no floodlights. Members of the Barnes Tennis League may use the courts at Barnes Tennis Club with a club member for a guest fee of £2. Saturdays get busy, but Sundays are generally quiet.
Members of the Barnes Tennis League may use the courts at Barnes Tennis Club with a club member for a guest fee of £2
Collapse AllBarnes Singles - Round 25 | Thursday 20 October 2016 to Wednesday 14 December 2016 (Midpoint: Wednesday 16 November 2016)
Many thanks to all of you committed players who made it onto the courts despite the difficult conditions - Happy holidays and see you in the New Year for more of the same!
Round of applause for Ian Hancock takes a comfortable lead, playing and winning all 5 of his matches to reach 10 points! Hats off to Clive and Bill too for their wins too and claiming the silver and bronze respectively.
- Ian Hancock 8.2 [W5] 10 WINNER
- Clive Daykin [W2, L1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Bill Ford [W1, L2] 2
- Andy Santos [L2]
- Gunes Goler 10.2 [L2]
- Ryan Dixon [L1] withdrawn
Match of the Group:Clive Daykin bt Andy Santos (Dec 4) 6-4, 6-3
Stephen, Tony and Angus were all gunning for the prize in this group - Tony and Angus both managed to take 2 wins to get 4 points, however with 3 straight wins Stephen just edges past to claim gold. Well played all!
- Stephen Flexer 10.2 [W3] 6 WINNER
- Tony Nesbit 9.1 [W2, L1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Angus Comber 10.2 [W2, L2] 4
- Zane Baring 10.1 [L3] 1
- Andrew Palmer 10.2 [L1]
- Marcello Angelastro 10.2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentAngus Comber bt Zane Baring (Dec 3) 6-1, 2-6, 6-0
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Barnes archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles and Doubles matches for Barnes.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)