Collapse AllBattersea Park Doubles - Round 17 | Thursday 23 May 2019 to Wednesday 31 July 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 26 June 2019)
Sixty per cent of all the possible matches were played this round which is a commendable effort in doubles where getting four people on court at any one time is never that easy! Thank you for supporting the league and making the matches such fun for everyone. Here's to the next round.
We have new Group One champions as Daria & Will, battled their way through three matches to top the group. Though they were all wins in straight sets, none of them were particular easy, so quite an achievement! Archie & Ed also had an excellent round finishing just one point behind the winners. It would be lovely to have a few more commentaries with the matches but it does all look like a lot of fun!
- Daria Malyarova & Will Evans [W3] 6 WINNER
- Archie Warman & Ed Prior [W2, L1, UF1] 5 RUNNER UP
- Alex Connell & Oliver Walton [W1] 2
- Thomas Fraser & Miranda Kent [W1, L2] 2
- Alex Smyth & Jack Watton [UF1] 1
- Emma Powell & James Wilcox [L4]
Match of the Group:Daria Malyarova & Will Evans bt Thomas Fraser & Miranda Kent (Jul 15) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
The Deventers showed both scheduling and excellent tennis skills as they powered their way to victory in group two without so much as dropping a set. But that doesn't mean they didn't work for their wins: "I don't think we've ever played a match with such long points!" said Carol after their match against Lily and Olivia. Ashraf & Allister managed three good wins of their own to take the silver this time, leaving Lauri and Ben the bronze.
- Carol Ann Van Deventer & John Van Deventer [W5] 10 WINNER
- Ashraf Chaudhry & Allister Keller [W3, L1] 6 RUNNER UP
- Lauri Tombs & Ben McClatchie [W1, L2, UF1] 3
- Christian Lee & Katie Minshall [W1, L3] 2
- Chris Parsons & Isabel Shaw [L3, UF1] 2
- Lily Marriott & Olivia Erwin [L1]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentCarol Ann Van Deventer & John Van Deventer bt Ashraf Chaudhry & Allister Keller (Jun 20) 6-4, 6-4
A very good example in this group of why it is always worth trying to play an extra match and fighting for every point on offer... Having lost their match with Tali & Tamsin, Joel & Ben nevertheless took full advantage of the set they won in that match and the point that came with it. By going on to play one more match than their opponents (which they won), this allowed them to top the group by a single point! Bragging rights to Tali & Tamsin, but our winner is Joel and Ben!
- Joel James & Ben Parkin [W3, L1] 7 WINNER
- Tali Singer & Tamsin Valjalo [W3] 6 RUNNER UP
- Jack Blackmore & Melissa Jeffery [L1] 1
- Zeina Mirjan & Razzak Mirjan [L1]
- Charlotte Morisetti & Wycliffe Stutchbury [L2]
- Hector De Courcy-Wheeler & Lindsay Coulson [L1]