Friendly, competitive tennis on Cambridge's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllCambridge Singles - Round 16 | Thursday 3 October 2019 to Wednesday 27 November 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 30 October 2019)
80 matches were played in this round which is 70% of the total possible. That is a great result. Well done Cambridge, please take a bow, and here's to the next one in 2020!
It could not have been much closer at the top with Daniel and Thomas on 5 wins each. It came down to Daniel winning a set in the only match he lost (against Thomas!) which took him to the top of the group. Gracious in defeat, he said Thomas controlled the big points really well, but Daniel takes gold this time and Thomas silver. Well played to them and special mention should be made of Viktor, the only player to play all seven matches in this group. Well done!
- Daniel Savage 8.2 [W5, L1] 13 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Thomas Biancuzzi [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Sam Coleman 6.2 [W4, L1] 10 includes 2 bonus points
- Mingda Yuan 10.2 [W3, L2] 6
- Viktor Pesek [W2, L5] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- James Stevens [W2, L3] 4
- Christian Hetmank 10.2 [W1, L5] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Jed Virchis [L5]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentThomas Biancuzzi bt Sam Coleman (Oct 16) 6-4, 6-4
Christos marched to the top of this group with relative ease except for his game against Hamish when he broke his strings. He had however managed to do enough to win the group, so well played to him and also to runner up Antoine who managed to play in short sleeves at the end of October in what must have been a welcome break from the rain this round!
- Christos Malliakos [W4, L1] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Antoine Schatt [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Hamish Stuart Smith 8.2 [W3] 6
- Paul Clarke [W1, L2] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Apostolos Fourlis [L4] 3 includes 2 bonus points
- Leigh Chapman [L3]
- Joe Eldin withdrawn
Match of the Group:Antoine Schatt bt Paul Clarke (Oct 28) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
Every single player got their bonus points in this group which is no mean feat! Well done all. That meant every match mattered and a very high percentage of matches were played. Mark and Hannah both won 4 and lost one, but Mark picked up an extra point for the set he won in the match he lost (against Hannah!). So Mark is the champ and Hannah gets the kudos for beating him. Well played!
- Mark Harper [W4, L1] 11 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Hannah Dennis [W4, L1] 10 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Charles Marrow [W3, L2] 10 includes 2 bonus points
- Rasmus Christensen [W3, L2] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Federico Baldi [W2, L2] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Nakul Rampal [W1, L4] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Junior Agboola [L5] 2 includes 2 bonus points
Match of the Group:Rasmus Christensen bt Federico Baldi (Oct 19) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
Almost everyone got their bonus points here and almost every match was played. Well done. Owen tops the group with four wins to his credit, and all without a set lost (though Michael nearly took one!). A good win for him after coming third in the group last time. Congratulations to him and also to runner up Richard who finished a couple of points behind.
- Owen Crawford 10.2 [W4] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Richard Hodge 10.2 [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Michael Zahner [W2, L2] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Pierre Khoury [W2, L3] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Gaetano Cervino 10.1 [L4] 3 includes 2 bonus points
- Sergio Balaguer [L1]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentMichael Zahner bt Pierre Khoury (Oct 25) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (13-11)
Tennis often comes down to consistency versus unforced errors and it sounds as if John managed to get the balance right. He won four of his five matches to top the group - well done. Rodrigo, however was hot on his heels and actually beat the champ in a very close three setter which included a first set tie break. Had he played a few more matches, who knows what might have happened. No bonus points here but well done all on getting so many matches played.
- John Bateman [W4, L1] 9 WINNER
- Rodrigo Lanza [W3] 6 RUNNER UP
- Joachim Kehren 9.2 [W3, L2] 6
- Susie Newman [W2, L3] 5
- Cressida Stevens [W1, L3] 3
- Sarur Chaudhary [L4]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentJohn Bateman bt Susie Newman (Nov 3) 7-5, 2-6, 6-2
A quiet-ish group with five matches played and one walkover. A shame not to see more action but well done to the group winner Colin and runner up Dominic.
- Colin Sherwood [W3] 6 WINNER
- Dominic Noble [W1, L1] 3 RUNNER UP
- Tim Ellis [W1, L1] 2
- Thomas Meek [W1, L2] 2
- Theo Turvill [L2]
- Richard Atkins
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentThomas Meek bt Dominic Noble (Nov 9) 6-0, 2-6, 6-1
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Cambridge archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Cambridge.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)