Friendly, competitive tennis on Cheltenham Parks' public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllCheltenham Parks Singles - Round 31 | Thursday 16 January 2020 to Wednesday 11 March 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 12 February 2020)
Not the busiest round there has ever been in Cheltenham but given the weather, getting 50% of all possible matches played was not too bad. A shame to see a couple of players not get underway at all - do let us know if we can help another time.
A slightly quiet group and no bonus points here but three good wins for Matt out of three lobs him to the top of the group, despite some horrendous weather. Good matches elsewhere - we like the sound of Alice's winners and serving consistency - and good to see runner up Josh come successfully through some close matches, and losing only to the champ.
- Matt Herbert [W3] 6 WINNER
- Josh Goldberg [W2, L1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Alice Lovatt [W1, L3] 3
- Sam Grace 10.1 [W1, L2] 2
- Pierre ITIER [L1]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentAlice Lovatt bt Pierre ITIER (Jan 19) 6-4, 6-2
The weather may have got the better of this group which was slightly on the quiet side with no bonus points gained. Tom, intriguingly, had one good match, then stopped! Who knows what might have happened had he carried on. Newcomer Stephen, alas, didn't get going at all (hope you are ok). But Steffan played and won 3 matches, which lobbed him to the top of the group, just one point ahead of runner up Conor who lost only to the champ in a close match. Congrats to both!
- Steffan Hughes 10.1 [W3] 6 WINNER
- Conor Ryan [W2, L1] 5 RUNNER UP
- Paul Elders 9.2 [W1, L3] 4
- Robert Bishop 9.2 [W1, L3] 3
- Tom Gadsby 10.1 [W1] 2
- Carl Newton [L1]
- Stephen Holland
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentRobert Bishop bt Paul Elders (Feb 23) 4-6, 6-0, 6-2
A cheerful group, equipped with the 'psychological umbrellas' required for the tennis-weather-wrecking that can happen at this time of year! Despite that, David played and won four matches to sail to the top of the group, so he can look forward to promotion next time. Newcomer Michael was runner up. Well played both!
- David Green [W4] 8 WINNER
- Michael Barron [W2, L1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Toby Moate [W1, L2] 2
- Cindy Davies [W1, L3] 2
- Wing Lam Chan [L2]
- David Planell
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentToby Moate bt Cindy Davies (Feb 25) 6-3, 6-2
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Cheltenham Parks archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Cheltenham Parks.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)