Friendly, competitive tennis on Edgbaston's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllEdgbaston Singles - Round 2 | Thursday 3 December 2020 to Wednesday 6 January 2021 (Midpoint: Wednesday 30 December 2020)
It's a shame this round had to end early due to lockdown but at least we managed to get past the midway point this time... meaning that you'll all receive a 50% round pass discount for next time! Well done for braving the often wintry weather to get so many matches played and we look forward to seeing you back in action before too long!
Congratulations to Umar for topping the table on 4 wins, 2 points clear of runner up Eldin. Umar had to work hard for his win against Chayut, recovering from losing a close second set to win in 3 "in very cold conditions". Meanwhile Steve and Patrick played out an event filled match across 3 sessions with Steve coming from a set down to win in 3 sets.
- Umar Balal [W4] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- ELDIN BASIC [W3] 8 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Patrick Longstaff [W1, L3] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Steve Halliday [W1, L1] 3
- Hong Giap Teo [L3] 3 includes 2 bonus points
- Chayut Ngamkhanong [L1] 1
- Oli Clark [L1]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentSteve Halliday bt Patrick Longstaff (Jan 3) 6-7 (9-11), 6-3, 6-3
There were lots of matches still to be scheduled in this group however Inigo's early match scheduling saw him clinch the title with 2 wins and midway bonus points. Rob certainly made it tough for Inigo in their head to head though, as he took the opening set on a tiebreak and pushed Inigo all the way in the ensuing match tiebreak, while David and Roger also pulled off 3 set wins of their own.
- Inigo Gonzalez [W2, L1] 7 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Rob Starling [W1, L1] 3 RUNNER UP
- Roger Woods [W1, L1] 3
- David Crowley [W1] 2
- Shereen Akhtar [L1]
- Tommaso Romita [L1]
- Pongsapak Visetthernrakul