Friendly, competitive tennis on Frome's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllFrome Singles - Round 13 | Thursday 6 June 2019 to Wednesday 31 July 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 3 July 2019)
Only the one group this time, but all but one of the matches was played which is excellent. And judging by the brilliant commentaries (there seemed to be half marathons happening on and off the court) this round was a lot of fun. Thanks for taking part. If you can spread the word about future rounds we would be really grateful. The more players, the better the mix of standards and the more enjoyable it is for everyone (we hope). If you are telling other players, don't forget to mention that players who complete three matches by the mid-point receive a free can of tennis balls, there is a winner's prize to the value of £20 and the league offers lots of other discounts and offers (including the chance to take part in the Local Tennis Leagues section of the annual Wimbledon ballot!).
Just one solitary match remained unplayed in this terrific round. Of course every match can be important in the points chase and the chances are that if Adam had taken on Jeremy he might have picked up the extra point that would have allowed him to draw clear of Terry at the top of the table. As is is though, Terry picks up his second group win. Although he tied on points with Andy, and although Andy ended the round with one more win, Terry beat Andy in their head-to-head. When it comes to breaking ties at the top of the table, that matters! Terry should be congratulated too for earning points for sets won in two of his losses. In the end these were also vital. Huge commiserations to Andy who picks up the silver. There is a lot to fight for in the next round!
- Terry Gillman 8.1 [W2, L2] 6 WINNER
- Andy Coke [W3, L1] 6 RUNNER UP
- Adam Day [W2, L1] 5
- Peter Ramage 10.2 [W2, L2] 4
- Jeremy Naylor [L3] 1
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentAdam Day bt Terry Gillman (Jul 21) 5-7, 7-6 (9-7), [10-8]
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Frome archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Frome.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)