Friendly, competitive tennis on Hyde Park's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA for adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are played to short-set format; if a set reaches 4 games all, the next game decides the set. If the match reaches a set all, a match tiebreak is played. (Long format matches may be played if both players agree.)
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won and an extra a point is awarded for completing a match
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllHyde Park Singles - Round 36 | Thursday 12 September 2019 to Wednesday 6 November 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 9 October 2019)
It's never easy to get courts at this busy venue, but the venue is so beautiful and the tennis such fun, that the effort is more than worth it. Thanks for your continuing support and for your commitment to making friendly, competitive tennis available to more and more people. The new, 2019 into 2020 round, extended to ten weeks to allow for the the holidays, starts shortly. Really hope you want to play!
Such a shame more matches weren't played. You know, you only need an hour to get a short-format match played and even in super-busy Hyde Park it is usually doable! Meanwhile, well done Peter for getting two matches played. The point he won in his defeat to Antoine made all the difference and won him the group!
- Peter Saliba [W1, L1] 4 WINNER
- George Barrow 10.2 [W1] 3 RUNNER UP
- Antoine De Montmorillon [W1] 3
- Stelian Rosca 8.2 [L2] 3
- Benoit Robert
- Patrik Jochnick
- Rafael Vargas 7.2
- Reda Khatim
Match of the Group:Antoine De Montmorillon bt Peter Saliba (Oct 9) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
Welcome to the four new league players in this group - great to have you playing! And a reasonable number of matches played too. Interestingly, most of you opted to play full format matches which is great, though it does make getting all your matches played a bit harder! Muhammad and Matan played the most and were rewarded not just with bonus points but with the winner and runner up spots. Both had similar win loss records, but Muhammad picked up an extra point in his loss to Jose and that tipped the group balance in his favour. Well played all!
- Muhammad Najim [W2, L2] 11 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Matan Gluck [W2, L2] 10 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Jose Godoy [W2] 6
- Matt Michel [W1, L1] 4
- Stephen Green [L2] 2
- Andrew O'Rourke
- Brice Abbou
- Vincenzo Palomba
Match of the Group:Jose Godoy bt Muhammad Najim (Oct 5) 6-7 (8-10), 6-4, 6-3
A great return to the league by Monica who stormed through her matches and was undefeated in all five encounters. That helped her amass a formidable 15 points, 7 points clear of Thomas who earns silver this time. Fantastic that everyone played at least one match!
- Monica Velasquez [W4, UF1] 15 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Thomas Leyshon [W2, L1] 8 RUNNER UP
- Abhi Widge [W1, L1, UF1] 5
- Gretchen Smith [L2] 2
- Conrad Addo [L2] 2
- Elisabet Lopez de Pablo [L1] 1
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentMonica Velasquez bt Thomas Leyshon (Oct 2) 7-5, 3-6, 6-3
All but one match played in the group which is spectacular. Take a bow Group 5! Top of the class was Nikita who was unbeateen all round, though with one match left in the bag (against Alexandra) he was living dangerously! Indeed, Genevieve and Domenico finished the round hot on his heels, just a point adrift. Thank you so much for your hard work scheduling and playing the matches. It looks a lot of fun!
- Nikita Korotaev 10.2 [W4] 14 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Genevieve Bates 9.1 [W3, L2] 13 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Domenico Cirrotti 9.2 [W2, L3] 13 includes 2 bonus points
- Alina Maraghelis [W2, L3] 12 includes 2 bonus points
- Daniel Riddle [W3, L2] 11
- Alexandra Parkinson [L4] 5
Match of the Group:Domenico Cirrotti bt Alexandra Parkinson (Nov 3) 1-4, 4-2, 4-2
A great debut performance from Aljosha who wins the group unbeaten and was the only player to bag bonus points. Great scheduling and great tennis... Libby was also going strong and played more matches than anyone else and can look back on two brilliant, hard-fought, three-set wins!
- Aljosha Ellmer 8.2 [W3] 11 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Libby Haas [W2, L2] 9 RUNNER UP
- Joe Houghton [W1, L1] 5
- Vibushan Sri-Pathma [W1, L1] 4
- Alexis Maule [L2] 3
- Sonja Cirrotti 10.1 [L1] 1
- Francesco Maniscalco
- Kelly Bayliffe
Match of the Group:Libby Haas bt Alexis Maule (Oct 19) 2-4, 5-4, [10-3]
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Hyde Park archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Hyde Park.
You earn one point for every set you win and a point for completing a match. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
In this short-format approved league, matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, and do count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)