Friendly, competitive tennis on Hyde Park's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA for adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are played to short-set format; if a set reaches 4 games all, the next game decides the set. If the match reaches a set all, a match tiebreak is played. (Long format matches may be played if both players agree.)
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won and an extra a point is awarded for completing a match
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllHyde Park Singles - Round 32 | Thursday 18 October 2018 to Wednesday 12 December 2018 (Midpoint: Wednesday 14 November 2018)
A well contested winter round in Hyde Park where both new and returning players got fully into the swing of things to play two thirds of the matches on offer. Thanks for all your efforts on and off court and we hope you enjoyed it. Here's to more of the same in the new year!
Rafael was determined to keep hold of his group one crown, playing every match and scheduling well to leave it all in his own hands. This positive attitude paid off as he finished with five wins under his belt to extend his title winning streak to four straight rounds. Can anyone topple Rafael next time? Well done to Antoine and Florent who take the bragging rights for defeating the champ. Stephane also played lots of matches and showed fine form, and he reaps the rewards of his efforts by securing second spot.
- Rafael Vargas 7.2 [W5, L2] 20 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Stephane Leroy 8.1 [W4, L2] 17 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Florent Chermat [W2, L2] 9
- Antoine De Montmorillon [W2] 6
- Ignacio Colis Vidal [W1, L2] 5
- Patrick Strittmatter [L2] 3
- Fernando Banez [L2] 2
- Stelian Rosca 8.2 [L2] 2
Match of the Group:Antoine De Montmorillon bt Rafael Vargas (Nov 8) 6-4, 3-6, [10-6]
There were several marathon tiebreaks contested in this round with Sebastian and Abhi's 15-13 epic perhaps the most nail biting. Scott surged past all of his opponents and scheduled well to cruise into top spot with a mammoth points total - well played. Leon made sure Scott didn't have it all his own way in their hard fought head to head, and he carried on this good form throughout the round to finish four wins to the good and clinch the silver.
- Scott James [W6] 20 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Leon Mouzourakis [W4, L1] 15 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Abhi Widge [W1, L5] 12 includes 2 bonus points
- Simon Prockter 9.1 [W2, L4] 11
- Kishan Kunvardia 10.2 [W2, L3] 11 includes 2 bonus points
- Felix Abercron [W2, L3] 11 includes 2 bonus points
- Sebastian Aisher [W1, L2] 6
- Nikolas Chalkias 10.2
Match of the Group:Sebastian Aisher bt Abhi Widge (Dec 10) 4-2, 0-4, [15-13]
Lots of matches played and nearly all bonus points earned in a very busy group three - great stuff everyone. Bogdan was the standout player, notching up a magnificent seven wins without dropping a set to take the title in emphatic style. Tomas couldn't quite keep up with Bogdan at the front, but also had a successful round winning six matches to deservedly come home as the runner up.
- Bogdan Popescu [W7] 23 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Tomas Krupan [W6, L1] 21 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Katrina Capey 10.2 [W4, L3] 17 includes 2 bonus points
- Raphael Reuben [W2, L3] 12 includes 2 bonus points
- Carolena Ludwig 9.2 [W2, L5] 12 includes 2 bonus points
- Tanya Gurova 9.2 [W1, L5] 11 includes 2 bonus points
- Francisco Pimentel [W2, L3] 10 includes 2 bonus points
- Alexis Maule [L4] 4
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentKatrina Capey bt Carolena Ludwig (Dec 11) 1-4, 4-2, [12-10]
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Hyde Park archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Hyde Park.
You earn one point for every set you win and a point for completing a match. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
In this short-format approved league, matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, and do count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)