Friendly, competitive tennis on Islington Tennis Centre's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA for adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are played to short-set format; if a set reaches 4 games all, the next game decides the set. If the match reaches a set all, a match tiebreak is played. (Long format matches may be played if both players agree.)
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won and an extra a point is awarded for completing a match
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllIslington Tennis Centre Singles - Round 9 | Thursday 7 February 2019 to Wednesday 3 April 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 6 March 2019)
This was a quieter round than we would have liked in the Islington Tennis Centre league. If you are struggling to get matches arranged do remember to get in touch, we are always happy to help. Thanks to everyone who did get involved and we hope you had fun on court - here's to more tennis next time!
Benjamin played the most matches and bagged bonus points, and this proved to be a recipe for success as he picked up two hard fought wins and a point from a marathon defeat to Ireo to boost his tally into the lead. Dominik and Ireo finished tied on points in a tight tussle for second. The match between the two therefore proves decisive and it was Dominik who emerged victorious from this closely contested encounter to take home the silver.
- Benjamin Konnert [W2, L2] 11 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Dominik Vogt 10.2 [W2, L1] 7 RUNNER UP
- Ireo Ostacchini 8.1 [W2, L1] 7
- Alex Hicks 8.1 [L5] 7
- Cyril Gradis 7.2 [W2] 6
- Daniel Petersen [W1] 3
Match of the Group:Ireo Ostacchini bt Benjamin Konnert (Mar 5) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
James D was the standout player in group two, recording convincing wins in the three matches he played to pull clear in first place. Paul defeated runner up rival Rufus in a topsy turvy three set encounter to narrowly clinch the silver. A shame to see Jim withdraw - hope you're ok.
- James Duncan 10.2 [W3] 9 WINNER
- Paul McKiernan 10.2 [W1] 3 RUNNER UP
- Rufus Reeve [L2] 3
- Bali Delarosa [W1] 2
- Jim Humphris [L2] withdrawn 1
- James Tamim 9.2 [L1] 1
Match of the Group:Paul McKiernan bt Rufus Reeve (Feb 25) 7-5, 0-6, 6-2
A couple of no shows resulted in less action than we would have liked in group three, however the matches that were played were all classic contests. Vipan narrowly defeated both Valerio and Marcus to move to the front and give himself a shot of the gold. Now all of Valerio's matches were epic encounters and despite missing out on a victory he picked up a couple of points from each match to draw level with Vipan at the top. Their head to head therefore comes into play and Vipan was "lucky in the 3rd" set to claim the win and the title.
- Vipan Nar [W2] 6 WINNER
- Valerio Rinaldi 10.2 [L3] 6 RUNNER UP
- Marcus Boyland 9.1 [W1, L1] 4
- Francois Jonquet 10.2 [W1] 3
- Darragh Kelly
- Jamie Riggs-long
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentVipan Nar bt Valerio Rinaldi (Feb 24) 4-2, 2-4, 5-3
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Islington Tennis Centre archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Islington Tennis Centre.
You earn one point for every set you win and a point for completing a match. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
In this short-format approved league, matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, and do count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)