Friendly, competitive tennis on Islington Tennis Centre's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA for adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are played to short-set format; if a set reaches 4 games all, the next game decides the set. If the match reaches a set all, a match tiebreak is played. (Long format matches may be played if both players agree.)
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won and an extra a point is awarded for completing a match
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllIslington Tennis Centre Singles - Round 10 | Thursday 25 April 2019 to Wednesday 19 June 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 22 May 2019)
With court refurbishment making this an "indoors outdoors" round it was great that so many of you were able to get your matches played. 60% of matches were scheduled so thank you for braving wind, rain and sun to make it happen. It would be great to have you all back playing next time, but for now... settle back and enjoy Wimbledon!
An excellent debut performance from Gabor in a very busy group where no fewer than five players earned their bonus points. With players looking far and wide for courts, that is very well done. Runner up was Federico, the only undefeated player in the group, but Federico needed more matches to catch Gabor who proved to be the master of scheduling this time. Third place, by a whisker, goes to Dominik. A lovely round with many matches played outside so thank you for coping with everything from beautiful sunny days to truly "horrible" ones!
- Gabor Dudas [W6, L1] 21 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Federico Ruiz Boronat [W4] 14 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Dominik Vogt 9.2 [W2, L4] 12 includes 2 bonus points
- Benjamin Konnert [W2, L2] 10 includes 2 bonus points
- Derrick So [L4, UF1] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Gabriel Torres [W1, L1] 4
- James Duncan 10.1 [L2, UF1] 3
- Joe Chacholiades 8.1 [L1] 1
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentBenjamin Konnert bt Derrick So (May 20) 6-2, 2-6, 6-3
We could have done with a few more matches in this group but perhaps the thought of catching front-runner Kieran was just too daunting! An excellent debut performance from Kieran who will be heading up the groups. Competitive as ever, Alex earned a commendable silver this time.
- Kieran Lee [W4] 12 WINNER
- Alex Hicks 7.2 [W2, L1] 7 RUNNER UP
- Ireo Ostacchini 8.1 [W1, L2] 6
- James Copestick [L2] 2
- Sidney Bixer [L2] 2
- James Tamim 9.2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentAlex Hicks bt Ireo Ostacchini (May 23) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
Oh how we feel for Nancy! She battled through three sets to get the better of Chris and matched his tally of won two, lost two. In other circumstances that would have been enough to give her the group, but Chris had banked a scheduling insurance policy adding two bonus points to his total. So it is well done to Chris for some great tennis and great scheduling and commiserations to Nancy who takes home the bragging rights and the silver. With Chris beating David (who came in third) and David beating Nancy this is a group that could easily have had another outcome!
- Chris Delaney [W2, L2] 11 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Nancy Pakdivong [W2, L2] 9 RUNNER UP
- David Lamb [W2, L1] 8
- Joseph Rich [W2] 6
- Valerio Rinaldi 10.2 [L3] 4
- Kathleen Taylor
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentNancy Pakdivong bt Chris Delaney (May 12) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4)
A fantastic group to anchor the round... All but three matches played, most players earning bonus points, and some great weather-defying battles. Tiago, playing in his first Islington Tennis Centre League but no stranger to LTL made his presence felt winning four nice matches to top the group. By playing one more match Jason put himself on track to catch Tiago and in the end was only two points adrift and that makes for a very commendable second place. A few more matches and third-placed Bruno could also have been in the hunt but it is Marcus who can have the most fun kicking himself. With an unbeaten run of three matches who know what might have been had he caught up on court with Tiago! Thanks for playing all.
- Tiago Matos 9.1 [W4] 14 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Jason Chow 9.2 [W2, L3] 12 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Bruno Spada [W2, L1] 10 includes 2 bonus points
- Marcus Boyland 9.1 [W3] 9
- Jamie Riggs-long 9.2 [W1, L4] 9 includes 2 bonus points
- Jenna Ward [L4] 4
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentTiago Matos bt Bruno Spada (Apr 28) 4-6, 7-6, 6-3
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Islington Tennis Centre archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Islington Tennis Centre.
You earn one point for every set you win and a point for completing a match. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
In this short-format approved league, matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, and do count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)