Friendly, competitive tennis on Ladywell Fields' public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllLadywell Fields Singles - Round 18 | Thursday 20 February 2020 to Wednesday 15 April 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 18 March 2020)
Round of applause for playing so many matches and so many of them were real humdingers. In fact, all we needed were some commentaries to bring the action to life! So who did enough to win the round? That's an easy one, our champ from last time triumphed again playing and winning six matches. No one matched him for the number of matches completed, let alone wins and on the occasion, ending the round early had no effect on who one the group. Well done Julian! A much tighter race for second place but as it stood, with three nice wins, the silver goes to Michael.
- Julian Leichtmann 7.1 [W6] 14 includes 2 bonus points
- Michael Gibson 8.2 [W3, L2] 9 includes 2 bonus points
- Hugh Macnicol 10.1 [W2, L3] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Robert Dixon [W3, L1] 7
- Luca Spinazze' 10.1 [W1, L3, UF1] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Joseph Bell [W2, L1] 5
- David Chart [L3, UF1] 4
- Paul Rubinstein 7.2 [L4] 4 includes 2 bonus points
Match of the Group:Julian Leichtmann bt David Chart (Feb 20) 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-2
Unlike group one, this was still a really close race before the safety car spun onto the track. But though Stefano might have been caught if things had gone the distance, let's not quibble too much as his performance was a real celebration of tennis' fighting spirit! Well done to Stefan for this "special win" and commiserations to Rob who had the group win in his sights. All to play for next time!
- Stefano Franzoso 8.2 [W3, L2] 10 includes 2 bonus points
- Rob Honeysett [W3] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Raf O'Reilly 8.1 [W2, L2] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- John Allen 9.2 [W1, L2, UF1] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Ruslan Kozirev 8.1 [W1, L1, UF1] 3
- Ben Sheppee [L4] 3 includes 2 bonus points
- Jeremie Pochon [W1] 2
- Jack O'Reilly
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentRaf O'Reilly bt Stefano Franzoso (Mar 19) 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-5)
Another group where there was still a lot to play for, but Alan, a winner last time, had more than staked his claim to the group win when the round stalled. His three wins and bonus points edged him ahead of runner-up Jamie and Thomas, the only player to have beaten him, had surely left it too late to catch him. So hats off to Alan once again.
- Alan Brown [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Jamie Everden [W2, L3] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Rob Derbyshire 10.2 [W2, L1] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Christian Schnee [W2, L2] 6
- Gavin Rose [W2, L1] 4
- Thomas Durkin [W1] 2
- Robbie Spargo [L4] 2 includes 2 bonus points
Match of the Group:Alan Brown bt Christian Schnee (Mar 13) 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 6-4
A couple of players hadn't even got going when we slammed on the breaks but by then Colin was heading into the distance (though Roger was hot on his heals). But while there were plenty of players in the group with matches to play who could have influenced who eventually won it, awarding Colin the gold seems like a more than fair outcome in the circumstances!
- Colin Gentile [W3] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Roger Price 8.2 [W2, L1] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Alasdair Macdonald [L2] 1
- Martin Milsom 8.2 [L1] 1
- David Smith [L1]
- Kevin Barrett
- Richard Stearn 10.1
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentColin Gentile bt Roger Price (Mar 9) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
Things were hotting up nicely in Group 5, so a shame to stop here. In terms of on court performance there wasn't much to choose between the top three but Claude is extremely unlucky not to have earned his bonus points - even if he hadn't gone on to beat Dennis that unfinished match would have earned him the points to leapfrog the leaders. As it is, the tie at the top between Herve and Pete is broken by their head-to-head, an excellent match that went Herve's way and helped him win the group!
- Herve Savoure [W1, L2] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Peter Hickey [W1, L2] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Claude Chaboud [W2, UF1] 4
- Dennis Herdman [W1, L1, UF1] 2
- Francesco Sera 10.1
- Sam Potts
- Thibault Michel
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentHerve Savoure bt Peter Hickey (Mar 14) 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
What a competitive group! Jasmin come out on top despite losing to Roshan in an exciting three setter. As so often, good scheduling was key to the group win - without a bonus point cushion Neill or even Elijah might have made a late run for the top spot.
- Jasmin Bukic 9.2 [W4, L1] 11 includes 2 bonus points
- Neill Quinton [W3, L2] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Elijah Lyons 9.2 [W2] 4
- Aihan Muradasil 10.2 [W2, L2] 4
- Betty Makharinsky [W1, L3] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Roshan Patel [W1, L1] 3
- Jack Steven [L4] 1
- Raymond Warburton
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentRoshan Patel bt Jasmin Bukic (Mar 1) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
If Troy had managed to play a few more matches this group might well have been his, but when time ran out David had made the most progress and his bonus points, along with the point he won off Troy by taking a set off him, took him comfortably to the top of the table. Hope we can be back on court to start afresh again soon!
- David Pottinton [W2, L1] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Troy Mae [W2] 4
- Amy Parker [W1, L1] 2
- Alexandra O’Mahony [L1] 1
- Lyndsey Staunton 9.2 [L2]
- Alex Kerslake withdrawn
- Alex Lavery
- Colin Gabell
Match of the Group:Troy Mae bt David Pottinton (Mar 8) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Ladywell Fields archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Ladywell Fields.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)