Friendly, competitive tennis on Lincoln's Inn's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA for adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are played to short-set format; if a set reaches 4 games all, the next game decides the set. If the match reaches a set all, a match tiebreak is played. (Long format matches may be played if both players agree.)
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllLincoln's Inn Singles - Round 29 | Thursday 17 January 2019 to Wednesday 13 March 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 13 February 2019)
Lovely to see a combination of both short format and "normal" tennis games being played in this round, we hope this flexibility helps with time constraints and it looks like it paid off this round with lots of great matches being played. Very pleased to welcome both new and returning players during this round, and we hope to see everyone continuing into the next round, especially as Spring is almost upon us!
Delighted to welcome two new players to this group, Matias and Mark - we hope you enjoyed your first set of matches! Matias certainly got off to a good start with several very close matches and long tie-breaks, including the epic against Christopher, who finally got the win at 15-13! Congratulations to Christopher who topped the group just one point clear of Matias, to improve on his runner-up from the last round. This group remains super-competitive and we look forward to seeing how this plays out in the next round!
- Christopher Edwards 8.2 [W3, L3] 8 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Matias Lujan [W1, L5] 7 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Max Turnell 9.2 [W3] 6
- Joseba Etxabe [W2, L1] 5
- Luiz Camara 8.2 [W2] 4
- Stephen Webb [W2] 4
- Justin Warshaw [L3] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Mark Ford [L1] 1
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentStephen Webb bt Matias Lujan (Mar 13) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
We welcomed back a number of LTL players in this group who had missed the last round - and that's always nice! Lots of good short format matches played which makes for fast furious tennis and Niccolo didn't waste much time storming to a couple of solid 4-0, 4-0 victories to top the group with 4 wins. His match against Dom didn't look so easy, a hard fought 5-3, 4-1 which sees Dom take the runner-up position this time around. Also lovely to see that everyone who played a match managed at least one win All to play for next time!
- Niccolò Massa 10.1 [W4] 8 WINNER
- Dom Ladden [W2, L1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Barnaby Hone [W1, L2] 3
- Peter Ward [W1, L2] 2
- Margaret Kelly 10.2 [W1, L3] 2
- Charlotte Turner [L1]
Match of the Group:Dom Ladden bt Barnaby Hone (Feb 11) 4-2, 3-5, [10-4]
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Lincoln's Inn archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Lincoln's Inn.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
In this short-format approved league, matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, and do count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)