Friendly, competitive tennis on Lincoln's Inn's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA for adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are played to short-set format; if a set reaches 4 games all, the next game decides the set. If the match reaches a set all, a match tiebreak is played. (Long format matches may be played if both players agree.)
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllLincoln's Inn Singles - Round 36 | Thursday 17 September 2020 to Wednesday 4 November 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 14 October 2020)
A shame we had to end the round early due to lockdown as the top 2 groups in particular were keenly contested, however hopefully you all enjoyed the matches you were able to play... including this round's new joiners! Great effort and we look forward to getting going again soon!
This was a fairly quiet group with a number of matches left unplayed and no-one claiming midway bonus points, however Manfred won 3 out of 5 matches to take the title by a single point. Runner up Austin played well to win 4 matches including victory over Manfred in a close 3 setter, while Benjamin won in the match tiebreak in an exciting match against John.
- Manfred Olbrich [W3, L1, UF2] 9 WINNER
- Austin Richards [W4] 8 RUNNER UP
- Sergio Scalzi [W3] 6
- Benjamin Ella [W1, UF1] 3
- John Towner [W1, L4] 3
- Juan Jose Torrejon [W1, L3, UF1] 2
- David Gerber [L2, UF1] 2
- Matthias Arnsdorf [L1, UF1] 2
- Sonia Bamford 10.2 [L2]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentBenjamin Ella bt John Towner (Oct 12) 4-6, 7-5, [10-5]
It was tight at the top of Group 2 as well with Othman and Simon both finishing on 10 points apiece so Othman's win in their head to head proved decisive. This went to 3 sets as did Othman's matches against Amaia and Ryan, while Ryan and Simon were locked in a "tight tussle" which had to be completed on a different day!
- Othman Nejjar [W4, L1] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Simon Prockter 9.1 [W3, L2] 10 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Ryan Sutton [W2, L3, UF1] 9 includes 2 bonus points
- Anthony Perotto [W2, L1, UF1] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- John Buckingham [W1, L1, UF1] 3
- Gabriele Papievyte [UF1] 1
- Amaia Alustiza [L2] 1
- Christina Biernat [L2]
Match of the Group:Othman Nejjar bt Amaia Alustiza (Oct 9) 5-3, 3-5, [10-3]
Sadly only 4 matches had been played before lockdown brought the round to an early conclusion... and so Utkarsh was crowned champ as the only player to record 2 wins against Barnaby and Nathan. Clara won her match against Lori in straight sets too to claim runner up spot.
- Utkarsh Narayan [W2] 4 WINNER
- Clara Le Chevallier 10.2 [W1] 2 RUNNER UP
- Justin Warshaw [UF1] 1
- Charilaos Latinopoulos 10.2 [UF1]
- Barnaby Hone [L1]
- Lori Sange [L1]
- Nathan Horsley [L1]
Match of the Group:Utkarsh Narayan bt Nathan Horsley (Sep 27) 6-0, 6-2
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Lincoln's Inn archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Lincoln's Inn.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
In this short-format approved league, matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, and do count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)