Friendly, competitive tennis on New River's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Contact details are emailed
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllNew River Singles - Round 7 | Thursday 19 January 2017 to Wednesday 15 March 2017 (Midpoint: Wednesday 15 February 2017)
Great to get back into the swing of things in 2017 with another excellent round in New River. Rivalries were renewed and created in some exciting matches and new champions crowned. Thanks for all your efforts and we hope to see you back in the next round for more tennis in the longer days and warmer temperatures.
Emil used his bronze medal from his previous performance as motivation this time round as he chalked up five victories to set him on his way to the top of the podium. Emil didn't have it all his own way as Tommy produced an excellent comeback to defeat the champion over three sets - could Tommy have challenged for the title if he'd played a few more matches? It is testament to the competitiveness of this group that there was very little to choose between the players in the majority of matches!
- Emil Tsekov 8.1 [W5, L1] 13 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Tim Rogers 9.1 [W4, L2] 11 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Tommy Power [W3] 6
- Mark Crooks 7.2 [W2, L3] 6
- Ivan Pondev 8.1 [W2, L2] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Atanas Barakov 8.2 [L5] 3 includes 2 bonus points
- Ben Leach [L2]
- Christian Spittle 8.2 [L1] withdrawn
Match of the Group:Tim Rogers bt Mark Crooks (Mar 12) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
No doubt about the winner of this group - maximum points see Kyneil take the prize. However this was no easy ride as the chasing pack rose to the occasion, with Peter, Edward, Charlie and Norman all taking their matches with Kyneil to a deciding third set. Kyneil dug deep and found his best tennis when he needed it to come through these challenges and notch up the victories. Edward reaped the rewards of his good scheduling skills, with his bonus points leapfrogging him above Norman into second. Well played all!
- Kyneil Grant 9.2 [W7] 16 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Edward Barrett 9.1 [W3, L2] 9 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Norman Freshney 8.2 [W3, L2] 7
- Peter Willis 9.2 [W1, L3] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Charlie Clinton 8.2 [W1, L1] 3
- Peter Mattravers 9.1 [L4] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Lukasz Lukaszewski 9.1 [L2]
- Tim Weatherseed 10.2 [L1]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentKyneil Grant bt Peter Willis (Jan 29) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
Nicholas and Tom both secured three wins each but it was Nicholas who put himself out at the front on his own thanks to extra points from some excellent scheduling and battling three set losses. Only two points separate position two to five, and unfortunately there were a couple of matches that couldn't be finished between these players. Nevertheless it is Tom who edges ahead in this mini contest to finish as runner up.
- Nicholas Mott 9.2 [W3, L2] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Tom Lewis [W3, L1, UF1] 6 RUNNER UP
- Charlotte Appel 9.1 [W2, L2, UF1] 5
- Jaroslaw Laka [W2, L2, UF1] 5
- Jonathan Hagos [W2, L2, UF1] 4
- Michael Ross 8.2 [W1, L4] 2
- Claire Frost 10.2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentTom Lewis bt Nicholas Mott (Mar 3) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
Looking for previous matches? Visit the New River archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous rounds for New River.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)