Friendly, competitive tennis on North Tyneside's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllNorth Tyneside Singles - Round 17 | Thursday 27 August 2020 to Wednesday 21 October 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 23 September 2020)
There were just the two groups again in this round of North Tyneside Tennis League but they were both well contested with lots of close and exciting scorelines and an impressive nine tenths of all possible matches played. Keep up the good work and here's to more great tennis in the next round!
Congratulations to Simon for following up promotion last time by finishing as Group 1 champ this round by the closest of margins over runner up Rob. Both earned 8 points but Simon won their head to head on his 7th match point to take top spot. Well done to James too for winning an "enthralling" match that "had pretty much everything" against Anthony... great tennis!
- Simon Pound [W4] 8 WINNER
- Rob Jones [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Anthony Hendon 10.2 [W1, L3] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Paul Quinn [W1, L3] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- James Addy [W1, L3] 4 includes 2 bonus points
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentJames Addy bt Anthony Hendon (Sep 4) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 6-0
An impressive run from Craig saw him win 5 matches and earn midway bonus points to finish 4 points clear at the top of Group 2. Runner up Louise's only defeat was to Craig, an "absolutely cracking game which was much tighter and more competitive than the scoreline might suggest" and there was a hard fought win for Derek who dug in to win the second set tiebreak against Antony.
- Craig Taylor [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Louise Tupling [W4, L1] 8 RUNNER UP
- Derek Place [W2, L3] 4
- Cait Cairns [W1, L3] 3
- Peter McCue 9.2 [W1, L2] 2
- Antony Cairns [L4] 1
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentCait Cairns bt Antony Cairns (Sep 28) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
Looking for previous matches? Visit the North Tyneside archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for North Tyneside.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)