Friendly, competitive tennis on Paddington Rec's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllPaddington Rec Singles - Round 45 | Thursday 16 January 2020 to Wednesday 11 March 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 12 February 2020)
Nearly 60% of matches played over all, and one group at least got all their matches completed. So not too shabby for winter tennis, though do let us know if you are finding getting replies from players difficult. If we can help, we will. Well played all, and let's hope we will be back on court again soon!
What a terrific top group packed with exciting tennis. No fewer than five players picked up three wins and everyone was triumphant in at least one match. So this was bound to be a tight finish. Andreas C just edged it in the end, in part because of adding bonus points, but also by grabbing a point for a set won in his loss to Rick. Rick himself couldn't quite get on to the podium this time, such was the level of competition. In the end Nick took the silver with Holger the bronze. Brilliant all.
- Andreas Christophorou 7.1 [W5, L1] 13 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Nick Bunstead [W5, L1] 10 RUNNER UP
- Holger Schad [W3, L3] 10 includes 2 bonus points
- Rick Burney 7.2 [W3, L3] 9 includes 2 bonus points
- Dibyendu Rakshit 8.1 [W3, L3] 9 includes 2 bonus points
- Andreas Heiki Pant [W1, L5] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Mark Van Doorne 7.2 [W1, L5] 4 includes 2 bonus points
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentDibyendu Rakshit bt Holger Schad (Feb 8) 6-7 (2-7), 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
Another hotly contested group with Rob choosing to do it the hard way. No bonus points for him, just five great performances to edge him above Armand in the points chase. Several players were in with a shout of the silver, but Armand's great scheduling and competitive play, won through. Well done Rob and the chasing pack!
- Rob Godmon [W5] 10 WINNER
- Armand Chollet [W3, L2] 9 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Chris Kalavrytinos 8.2 [W2, L2] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Ariel Zamora Jojot [W3, L2] 6
- Chris Jeffery [W2, L3] 6
- Lheyoh Wlasiqueh [L4] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Sameer Merchant [L2]
- Jamey Quek
Match of the Group:Rob Godmon bt Chris Jeffery (Feb 23) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
With one withdrawal (hope you are on the mend Lance) and Elin not getting going, matches were a little thinly spread in this group. Nevertheless, well done to Kyriakos for playing more and winning more than anyone else. To him, the group spoils!
- Kyriakos Zavoleas [W3, L1] 6 WINNER
- Charles Swindon 8.2 [W2, L1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Paolo Piselli [W1, L1] 3
- Lance Entwistle 9.1 [L1] withdrawn
- Michael Loutsios 9.2 [L2]
- Elin Lundmark
Match of the Group:Charles Swindon bt Paolo Piselli (Feb 7) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
Again, a few more matches would have brought this group to life. As it is, two wins was enough to give you the gold as Andrey discovered. Well done Andrey!
- Andrey Redman [W2] 4 WINNER
- Larry Galansky [W1] 2 RUNNER UP
- Graeme Aitken [W1, L1] 2
- Christina Zoubir [L1]
- Rashmi Kabra [L2]
- Conrad Addo
Match of the Group:Graeme Aitken bt Rashmi Kabra (Feb 1) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Paddington Rec archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Paddington Rec.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)