Friendly, competitive tennis on Parliament Hill's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllParliament Hill Singles - Round 9 | Thursday 3 October 2019 to Wednesday 27 November 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 30 October 2019)
The terribly wet November may have had an effect on the total number of matches played this round, but we still had some great tennis. That's it for this year, but hope to see you all on court again in 2020. Until then we hope you have a great time over the holidays and have a great New Year!
Runner-up Christopher came close to making it two group wins in a row but Ben was a step ahead of everyone this round. It would of course been fascinating to see the finish of Ben's match with Ireo but Ireo needed more matches to make a real run to the top spot. Well done Ben - a great effort!
- Ben Cooper 8.2 [W4, UF1] 11 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Christopher Shackleton 10.2 [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Alan Shaw 10.1 [W1, L3] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Ireo Ostacchini 7.2 [W2, UF1] 5
- George Kaye [W2, L1] 4
- Antonio Lopez Montesinos [W2, L3] 4
- Arthur Holcombe [L6] 2
- Andy Macleod 10.2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentChristopher Shackleton bt Alan Shaw (Oct 27) 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 6-3
An efficient round from Matt who had a couple of easy wins, a couple rather harder matches, picked up bonus points and ended just a point ahead of Mikhail! Dimitriy, meanwhile, earns a very creditable bronze!
- Matt Johnson 9.1 [W4] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Mikhail Tokarczyk 9.1 [W3, L2] 9 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Dimitriy Mustivy [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Jon Satow 8.2 [W3, L1] withdrawn 6
- Chris Wawak [W2, L4] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Cécile Labouret [W1, L3] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Bruno Ippoliti [L5] 4 includes 2 bonus points
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentJon Satow bt Mikhail Tokarczyk (Nov 3) 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
With a couple just not getting going at all we needed more tennis to do justice to the players in this group. Nevertheless, well done to Freddie for coming out on top.
- Freddie Downes [W2, UF1] 5 WINNER
- Eric Liknaitzky [W1, L1, UF1] 3 RUNNER UP
- Justin Nichomoff 9.2 [W1, UF1] 3
- Fede Alfonzo [L2] 1
- Marcus Boyland 9.1 [L1, UF1]
- Matthew Bell 8.2
- Tiphaine Drouault
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentJustin Nichomoff bt Fede Alfonzo (Oct 5) 3-6, 6-3, [10-7]
Another group where the tennis was hard to come by unfortunately - we're sure the weather played its part. Third-placed Robert earns our respect for playing more matches than anyone else, but the battle for top spot was between Paul and Jimmy who tied with two wins each. They didn't play each other so to break the tie we look at the average number of sets and games conceded and on that narrow measure, Paul is victorious.
- Paul Sanders 9.2 [W2] 4 WINNER
- Jimmy Dowsett [W2] 4 RUNNER UP
- Robert Molesworth 8.2 [W1, L2] 4
- Clara Le Chevallier 10.2 [L3]
- David Guardiola
- John Shanahan 10.2
- Louisa McKenzie
Match of the Group:Jimmy Dowsett bt Robert Molesworth (Oct 19) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
Five excellent wins and a couple of bonus points gave Oliver a comfortable group victory. Stephen might have been able to topple him, but getting matches set up hasn't been easy this round and without bonus points it would have been quite a mountain to climb. But some lovely tennis played in the group - well done.
- Oliver Coddington 9.2 [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Stephen Pereira [W4, L1] 8 RUNNER UP
- Steve Bruce [W2, L3] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Elena Konovalova [W1, L3] 3
- Tony Foot 10.2 [L3] 3 includes 2 bonus points
- Fabrizio Burlando 9.2 [W1] 2
- Gabriele Meldaikyte [L3]
- Jean Sebastien Dietsch
Match of the Group:Steve Bruce bt Tony Foot (Oct 29) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
Full marks (literally if you don't count bonus points) to Juliet who played all and won all of her matches! Judith was also having a good round and should be well pleased with her silver!
- Juliet Young 9.2 [W5] 10 WINNER
- Judith Schulman [W3, L1] 6
- Pierre Vila [W2, L2] 5 RUNNER UP
- Camilla Munkedal [W1, L3] 2
- Simon Munk [L2]
- Catherine Minns [L3]
Match of the Group:Judith Schulman bt Pierre Vila (Nov 24) 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Parliament Hill archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Parliament Hill.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)