Friendly, competitive tennis on Raphael Park and Romford's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllRaphael Park and Romford Singles - Round 36 | Thursday 18 June 2020 to Wednesday 12 August 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 15 July 2020)
It was great to have 2 groups in this round of Raphael Park and Romford Tennis League and to be able to welcome 4 new players to the league. Collectively you managed to complete nearly three quarters of all possible matches and lots of these were close affairs, so it was brilliant to see friendly, competitive tennis return to the courts. Thanks for supporting your local league and we look forward to welcoming you back in the next round!
Congratulations to Patrik for winning the Group 1 crown by the narrowest of margins over runner up Rakan, finishing on 5 wins and a single point clear. Leagues debutant Rakan made Patrik work hard for his win as he took the opening set against Patrik before he came back to win in 3 sets, and Patrik's first set against Anish went to a tiebreak. This was surpassed by Rakan's nailbiting opening set tiebreak against Jack which went to [14-10]... what a match!
- Patrik Kolesar [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Rakan Shakhatreh [W4, L1] 11 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Christian Schnee [W3, L3] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Sujeet Haldar 7.2 [W3] 6
- Jack Krawczyk 8.1 [W2, L3] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Anish Gandecha 10.2 [W1, L5] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- John Curtis [L6] 2 includes 2 bonus points
Match of the Group:Rakan Shakhatreh bt Jack Krawczyk (Jul 6) 7-6 (14-12), 6-3
It was a successful return to Raphael Park and Romford for Mihai who topped the group undefeated on 4 wins and with a 2 point cushion over runner up Victor. Fittingly it was Victor who pushed Mihai the hardest in their head to head, coming very close to winning the opening set tiebreak but Mihai hung on to win in straight sets. Meanwhile Joel and Julian played out their customary marathon match!
- Mihai Bogza 9.2 [W4] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Victor Cojocaru [W3, L2] 8 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Joel Peters 10.1 [W2, L2] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Julian Loveday [W1, L2] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Amanda Mills [L3] withdrawn
- Thomas Hilson 10.1 [L1]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentJoel Peters bt Julian Loveday (Jul 11) 2-6, 7-5, 6-3
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Raphael Park and Romford archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Raphael Park and Romford.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)