Friendly, competitive tennis on Southwark & Borough's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Contact details are emailed
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllSouthwark & Borough Singles - Round 7 | Thursday 17 August 2017 to Wednesday 11 October 2017 (Midpoint: Wednesday 13 September 2017)
Bonus points proved very important to the score tables this round, showing just how significant those two extra points can be! Despite a real range of weather conditions, our Southwark players battled on to complete some really great matches. The scorelines show how gripping the tennis was, and the commentaries reveal that players had a really enjoyable time too! Well played everybody!
Congratulations to Christian who came top of Group 1 this round, and to Adrian who was just a point behind! Christian and Matthew played a tight two sets, Adrian and Christian had an epic three-setter with a tiebreak, and Joe and Adrian were very closely matched. It would be great to see more matches played next time!
- Christian Jaccarini [W1, L1, UF1] 4 WINNER
- Adrian Britton 8.2 [W1, L1] 3 RUNNER UP
- Joe Kazemieh [W1, UF1] 2
- Matthew Hoare [L1]
- Borja Rosales 7.2
- Daniel Mackintosh 10.1 withdrawn
- Fabio Tubaro 7.2
Match of the Group:Adrian Britton bt Christian Jaccarini (Sep 2) 6-7 (4-7), 6-0, 6-1
It’s no coincidence that the only two players to score bonus points this round were the ones who came top of the group – keen match organisation is so important! Well played Jeff and Paul. George and Paul played an epic three sets with a tiebreak, Jeff and Owen had a tight three-setter despite rainy conditions, and Jeff and Paul created a rollercoaster of a scoreline!
- Jeff Vurganov [W5, L1, UF1] 13 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Paul Thoma [W1, L3] 6 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Owen Oliver [W1, L1] 3
- Ben Kynaston 9.2 [W1] 2
- George Penman 9.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Amber Williamson [UF1]
- David Butler [L2]
- Jose Sanchez [L1] withdrawn
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentGeorge Penman bt Paul Thoma (Sep 13) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-3
Ellery and Gabriel had a marathon three-setter with a tiebreak, Toby and Gabriel had a tight match with plenty of deuces, Hannah and Gabriel played a gripping two sets with long rallies, and Toby and Hannah had an exciting tiebreak! Well done to Ellery who came top of the group, and a special mention to Ellery, Hannah and Toby for scoring bonus points!
- Ellery Aruldoss 10.2 [W3, UF2] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Gabriel Emordi [W2, L1] 5 RUNNER UP
- Toby Jones [W1, L3] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Hannah Goldstein [W1, L3] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Edu Deiros 10.1 [W1, UF1] 3
- Andrew Smith [UF1]
- Antoni Durski [L1]
- Taihei Yamamoto 9.2 withdrawn
Match of the Group:Ellery Aruldoss bt Gabriel Emordi (Sep 9) 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
An impressive five match wins and two bonus points allowed Patrick to secure the top spot this round – well played. Well done also to Yasmeen who was just a point behind! Kris and Patrick battled on despite injuries, Simon and Patrick got a great workout, Yulia and Francois had long rallies, Yasmeen and Patrick played an epic two sets, and David and Yulia had a dramatic enounter!
- Patrick Daly [W5, L2] 13 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Yasmeen Cohen [W5, L2] 12 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Skye Saltzman [W5] 10
- David Onyon 10.2 [W2, L2] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Yulia Kitova 10.2 [W1, L4] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Francois Chen [L3, UF1] 1
- Kris Rajan [L2] 1
- Simon Stone [L3, UF1]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentDavid Onyon bt Yulia Kitova (Sep 3) 0-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Southwark & Borough archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous rounds for Southwark & Borough.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)