Friendly, competitive tennis on Southwark & Borough's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Contact details are emailed
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllSouthwark & Borough Singles - Round 6 | Thursday 1 June 2017 to Wednesday 26 July 2017 (Midpoint: Wednesday 28 June 2017)
Southwark had a really exciting round with incredibly tight matches in all groups, showing just how evenly matched the players were! Three-setters, tiebreaks and rollercoaster scorelines made for some gripping tennis, and the comments demonstrate Southwark’s friendly and competitive spirit. Well played everyone – here’s to the next round!
Congratulations to Roberto, who comes top of the group with an impressive clean sweep of four matches! Well done also to runner-up Peter, and a special mention to all players who scored bonus points. This round, Roberto and Peter had an exciting three-setter, Peter and Thomas had two very tight sets, and Roberto and Thomas got some great rallies!
- Roberto Scrinzi 8.2 [W4] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Peter Martinak [W2, L2] 7 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Thomas Hay [W1, L2] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Bart-Jan Henkelman 10.2 [W1] 2
- George Penman 9.2 [L3] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Michael Sebti [L1]
- Jim Texter
Match of the Group:Roberto Scrinzi bt Peter Martinak (Jun 10) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
Congratulations to Andrea whose three wins led him to victory this round, and to Chris who was only one point behind! Andrea had gripping three-set matches with topsy-turvy scorelines against both Chris and Christian, Hannah and Chris had a close two sets, and Andrea and Hannah had a very tight match. It would be great to see some players scoring bonus points next time!
- Andrea Farnelli 10.1 [W3] 6 WINNER
- Chris Hardy [W2, L2] 5 RUNNER UP
- Elspeth Jackson [W1, L1] 3
- Christian Foss 10.2 [W1, L1] 3
- Hannah Goldstein [L3]
- ELLERY ARULDOSS
Match of the Group:Andrea Farnelli bt Chris Hardy (Jul 15) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
Jeff’s stunning clean sweep of four matches allowed him to win this round, with Freddie as runner-up – well done both! Freddie and Taihei had a rollercoaster match over three sets, Jeff and Guarav had a gripping second set, Jeff and Taihei’s first set was incredibly close, and Skye and Catherine had a very tight match. Well played everyone!
- Jeff Vurganov [W4] 8 WINNER
- Freddie Priestley [W2] 4 RUNNER UP
- Taihei Yamamoto 9.2 [W1, L2] 3
- Skye Saltzman [W1, L2] 2
- Catherine Lillycrop [L3]
- Gaurav Johri [L1]
Match of the Group:Freddie Priestley bt Taihei Yamamoto (Jun 11) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
It’s no coincidence that the two players at the top of the group were the only ones to score bonus points this round – keen match organisation really can make all the difference! Congratulations Jose and Lee. Charlotte and Nicola had an exciting match with an unpredictable scoreline, Emma and Charlotte had a tight first set, and David and Emma battled through the heat!
- Jose Sanchez [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Lee Crighton [W4, L1] 10 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- David Onyon 10.2 [W2, L2] 4
- Emma Corke [W1, L3] 2
- Charlotte Gibson [W1, L3] 2
- Nicola Halas [L4] 1
Match of the Group:Charlotte Gibson bt Nicola Halas (Jul 12) 6-4, 2-6, [10-8]
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Southwark & Borough archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous rounds for Southwark & Borough.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)