Friendly, competitive tennis on Southwark & Borough's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Contact details are emailed
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllSouthwark & Borough Singles - Round 5 | Thursday 16 March 2017 to Wednesday 10 May 2017 (Midpoint: Wednesday 12 April 2017)
A shame we didn't see more tennis played in this round, we know it can be tricky sometimes to fit matches in but the leagues can only be a success if players make it onto court. Thanks to all of you who did get involved, and with summer on it's way we hope to see everyone back next time!
A quiet group one where we definitely needed to see more matches played, remember we are always here to help if you are struggling to get them arranged. Peter showed that getting on the court is the way to achieve success, as he notched up four wins out of five and added bonus points to his tally too to put daylight between himself and the rest of field. David defeated the champ to join Max on one win, however Max just sneaks into second thanks to fewer games conceded on average per match.
- PETER MARTINAK [W4, L1] 11 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Max Schreder 9.1 [W1, L1] 2 RUNNER UP
- David Shekman [W1] 2
- Andrea Farnelli 10.1 [L2]
- Iain Howard [L1]
- Christian Foss 10.2 [L1]
- Gustav Fichardt withdrawn
Match of the Group:David Shekman bt PETER MARTINAK (Apr 24) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
George got off to a slow start in his first match against Jeff, but once he hit the ground running he never looked back as his finishes with five wins under his belt and a place on the top of the podium. Daniel's four hard fought victories kept George on his toes and are more than enough to claim the silver.
- George Penman 10.1 [W5] 10 WINNER
- Daniel Mackintosh 10.2 [W4, L1] 8 RUNNER UP
- Jeff Vurganov [W1, L3] 4
- Taihei Yamamoto 9.2 [W1, L2] 3
- Gaurav Dudhoria 10.2 [L2] 1
- Alex Carle [L1]
- Gaurav Johri [L2]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentDaniel Mackintosh bt Jeff Vurganov (Apr 19) 1-6, 6-4, 7-5
Only three matches played in this group - what happened?! Please do let us know if you need help getting matches set up and played next time. Well done to James who played two and won two to take the crown. Samson also got a win on the board to finish second.
- James Lidgett 10.2 [W2] 4 WINNER
- Samson Woodley [W1] 2
- David Onyon 10.2 [L2]
- Youssef Essaegh 10.2 [L1]
- Daniel Lynn
- Ian Agass
- Joseph Sako
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentJames Lidgett bt David Onyon (Apr 10) 6-2, 6-3
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Southwark & Borough archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous rounds for Southwark & Borough.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)