Friendly, competitive tennis on Southwark & Borough's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Contact details are emailed
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllSouthwark & Borough Singles - Round 9 | Thursday 8 February 2018 to Wednesday 11 April 2018 (Midpoint: Sunday 11 March 2018)
Thanks to everyone who made it onto the courts and battled the Beast from East as well as their opponent in this round in Southwark. The weather took a toll on the total number of matches played but there was nevertheless some excellent performances by both debutants and returners to secure top spots. Hope to see you again next time.
Several superb encounters on the scoreboard in a well contested group one with Trevor v Ellery, Ellery v Jeff and Jeff v Trevor particular highlights. Stefan steered clear of the three set thrillers, storming through all four of his matches to deservedly take top spot on what was a dream debut. Trevor maintained his consistency, clinching the silver for the second consecutive round thanks to his "very tight" win over fellow challenger Ellery.
- Stefan Sorani [W4] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Trevor Long [W3, L2] 7 RUNNER UP
- Ellery Aruldoss 10.2 [W2, L3] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Jeff Vurganov [W2, L1] 5
- Hilari Frances Cabanes 8.2 [W2, L1] 4
- Joe Robertson [L3]
- Sam Packer [L3]
- Jamie Hughes 10.2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentJeff Vurganov bt Trevor Long (Feb 20) 4-6, 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
A round of applause to Elspeth who notched up a clean sweep of wins to take the group two crown. Toby put in a strong performance against Elspeth to ensure it was no walk in the park for the new champ and with excellent commitment part of his game too he is rewarded with the runner up spot.
- Elspeth Jackson [W4] 8 WINNER
- Toby Jones [W1, L5] 6 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Chris Hardy [W2, L1] 4
- Christian Foss 10.2 [W2] 4
- Nicolas Charbonnier 10.2 [W2, L2] 4
- Marcel Heinrichs [W1] 2
- Paul Thoma [L4] 2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentNicolas Charbonnier bt Toby Jones (Mar 26) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
Scott showed no sign of nerves on his debut recording a full house of wins to climb onto the top of the podium and earn a well deserved promotion next time. Hannah and Gabriel contested a " really tight match with some great rallies" and although Gabriel emerged victorious, the point Hannah earned from winning the first set sees her leapfrog Gabriel into second.
- Scott Williams [W4] 8 WINNER
- Hannah Goldstein [W1, L2] 3 RUNNER UP
- Gabriel Emordi [W1, L1] 2
- Louis Labovitch [L1] 1
- Charlie Swan [L2]
- Patrick Ross 10.2 withdrawn
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentGabriel Emordi bt Hannah Goldstein (Mar 10) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
Milan, Rodd and Graham all put themselves in the hunt for title with two wins to their names. Unfortunately not all the head to heads were played so we need head to the rule-book to determine the new champ. Milan finished the round undefeated with two straight wins from two and thanks to these performances takes the gold with fewest sets conceded. Rodd emerged victorious from his match from Graham to edge into the silver.
- Milan Neergheen [W2] 4 WINNER
- Rodd Ramsay 10.2 [W2, L1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Graham Wright [W2, L1] 4
- Denis Romanov 10.2 [L1]
- Theo Savvas [L3]
- Agata Polisiewicz
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentGraham Wright bt Theo Savvas (Feb 10) 7-5, 6-4
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Southwark & Borough archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous rounds for Southwark & Borough.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)