Friendly, competitive tennis on Southwark & Borough's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Interested in this League?
Join The League
New rounds for the Southwark & Borough league start regularly. See next round dates and entry fees above. Entries close the Monday before a round starts. You are never committed to joining more than one round and round usually last eight weeks (ten weeks where we also run doubles rounds).
We offer unbelievable prices on tennis balls. And league members get extra savings!
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Contact details are emailed
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllSouthwark & Borough Singles - Round 4 | Thursday 8 December 2016 to Wednesday 15 February 2017 (Midpoint: Wednesday 11 January 2017)
A much quieter round in Southwark, perhaps the festive period and winter weather put tennis on the back seat. We hope the enthusiasm returns with spring around the corner. Thanks to everyone who did get involved and we hope to see you in the next round for many more matches!
Four seems to be the number in this group with four players tied at the top on four points. This means we take a trip to our rule book and following the eliminator method it is Jerome who takes the group win after the deduction of bonus points. Now Pierluigi, Cat and Taihei still can't be separated so some further calculations are required. Thanks to fewest games conceded per match it is Pierluigi who claims the silver.
- Jerome Gonthier 10.2 [W2] 4 WINNER
- Pierluigi Ricchiuti [W1, L2] 4 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Cat (Catalin) Rapeanu 10.2 [W1, L2] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Taihei Yamamoto 9.2 [W1, L2] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- James Lush 7.2 [W1] 2
- Bart-Jan Henkelman 10.2
- Christian Foss 10.2
- Jamie Hughes 10.2
Match of the Group:Taihei Yamamoto bt Cat (Catalin) Rapeanu (Dec 16) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (13-11)
Andrea led the way on commitment and points in this group which needed more matches played. Tom was the only player to beat Andrea in a close run three setter and had he got on the court a few more times maybe the table would have been different. All credit to Andrea though for recording three solid victories to finish out in front. Jeff's straight set win is enough to pip Tom to second.
- Andrea Farnelli 10.1 [W3, L1] 9 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Jeff Vurganov [W1, L1] 2 RUNNER UP
- Tom Bryan 10.2 [W1] 2
- Daniel Lynn [L1]
- David Onyon 10.2 [L1]
- Ian Agass [L1]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentTom Bryan bt Andrea Farnelli (Dec 16) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 6-3
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Southwark & Borough archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous rounds for Southwark & Borough.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)