Friendly, competitive tennis on Waltham Forest's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllWaltham Forest Singles - Round 16 | Thursday 16 January 2020 to Wednesday 11 March 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 12 February 2020)
Over two thirds of matches played in this wintry and rather soggy round, so by our reckoning that is not bad going at all! Thanks for the great commentaries and generally being so supportive to your fellow players. Here's to the next round!
What a great top group and only three matches not played! This was nip and tuck tennis with a points tie for top spot, Winston playing one more match to ensure he equalled Joshua's 12 point tally. So, it was all down to their head-to-head, and a three-setter that didn't disappoint. Joshua added to his unbeaten run and with that match picks up the gold!
- Joshua Kovoor [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Winston Balfourth [W4, L2] 12 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- James Clarke 10.2 [W2, L4] 9 includes 2 bonus points
- Ilya Tkachiov 7.2 [W3, L3] 7
- Tomasz Jaxa-Chamiec [W1, L3, UF1] 4
- David Smith [W1, L3] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Tom Bird [W1, L2, UF1] 2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentJoshua Kovoor bt Winston Balfourth (Feb 1) 7-6 (7-1), 2-6, 7-5
Not quite as many matches played as were in the group above but still some fine performances to celebrate, not least of which was Graeme's unbeaten run to the top spot. Sol came closest in the points chase to catching Graeme, and Andy in particular gave the champ a run for his money on court, but it is hat's off to Graeme this time!
- Graeme Rawlings [W4] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Sol Ali [W2, L2] 7 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Andy McGlynn 10.2 [W1, L2] 3
- Anthony Bristow 9.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Chris Agass [L3]
- Darren Lawrence
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentGraeme Rawlings bt Andy McGlynn (Feb 23) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
Michael suffered an early defeat to Robert, but put that behind him to play an excellent round after that, ending up with more matches played and more wins that anyone else. A highlight was his match with runner-up Toby, a player who found himself at the centre of a couple of epics. Shame Lucy didn't get her campaign under way this time and some other matches didn't get played - do reach out to us for help with match scheduling if you need to!
- Michael Kenny 10.1 [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Toby Spearpoint 10.1 [W2, L1] 7 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Robert Collins [W2, L1] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Adam Walters [L3]
- Ismail Sik 10.1 [L1]
- Lucy Carter
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentMichael Kenny bt Toby Spearpoint (Feb 10) 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (7-2)
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Waltham Forest archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Waltham Forest.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)