Waterlow Park Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Waterlow Park's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Interested in this League?
Join The League
New rounds for the Waterlow Park league start regularly. See next round dates and entry fees above. Entries close the Monday before a round starts. You are never committed to joining more than one round and round usually last eight weeks (ten weeks where we also run doubles rounds).
We offer unbelievable prices on tennis balls. And league members get extra savings!
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
New to the league?
Click on the round you want to join (see the links above) and we will guide you though the process! You will be asked to pay the round fee and complete the player questionnaire which will help us get you great matches.
If you would like to register before you commit to a round, complete the form here...
Choose the round you wish to join from your account page, or choose from the links at the top of the page. And let the tennis begin!
If there is anything else you need help with contact us and we will be happy to help!
Six outdoor hard courts.
8am until the last hour before the park closes at dusk.
Standard charge: £8.60, Senior citizens and children under 16: £4.45
Bookings are taken online at www.camden.gov.uk/active. If you have any quereis call 020 7974 8282 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Camden will take advance online tennis bookings for up to 5 weeks in advance. However please note that you will still be able to turn up and play, if you go to the hut and pay, until the 6th June 2016, after which point you shall be expected to book online. You are not able to make advance bookings at the hut.
Camden Town Sports Pitch
Four outdoor courts on open-air tarmac, sports pitches with floodlights. Clubroom and changing facilities available by arrangement. All facilities bookable for matches, practice sessions and functions. Pay ‘n’ Play tennis sessions run Fri 6.30pm–9.30pm, Sat and Sun 100am–3pm. Courts cost £12.10 per hour (£8.40 Camden better health and fitness card holders - which also offeres 7 day advanced booking)
Tufnell Park Playing Fields
2 outdoor hard courts. Courts may be booked at the tennis hut, in person or on the phone (020 7226 2334) or online: seewww.book.aquaterra.org
Kilburn Grange Park Tennis Courts
3 outdoor courts. To book phone 07525 278642. Bookings are taken up to 7 days in advance by phone or in person at the attendant's hut located by the tennis courts. Payment is required within 24 hours to confirm booking. The park attendant will be at the hut from 10 minutes to until 10 minutes past each hour to take bookings.
10 hard courts. For advanced booking it is necessary to obtain an annual registration card from the Tennis Keeper, Tennis Courts hut, Parliament Hill Fields. If you have a registration card it is possible to book 3 days in advance. Others may check for availability each hour on the day. No booking required at quiet periods (i.e. Oct-Mar, Mon-Fri). Group coaching for adults and young people with qualified LTA coaches held throughout the summer. Applications from the Park Office.
Islington Tennis Centre
Although the centre gets very busy, Market Road is a useful playing option, especially when the weather gets bad. Izz Card Members can book 7 days in advance and non members can book five days in advance.
Adults: Indoor - £24/hour (£20 members); Outdoor - £10/hour (£8.50 members)
Collapse AllWaterlow Park Singles - Round 19 | Thursday 13 October 2016 to Wednesday 7 December 2016 (Midpoint: Wednesday 9 November 2016)
Another good round with once again five groups of players and a very good strike rate for matches (70% of all possible fixtures!). Good to see some new faces and some others returning after an absence in what must be one our most friendly and and most picturesque leagues!.
A brilliant debut from Daniel who won all his matches without breaking sweat! The search is on for a player to challenge him next round - though that's not to say that runner-up Samuel and the chasing pack haven't got in in them to turn the tables! Practice, we are told, is all it takes!
- Daniel Petersen [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Samuel Gruen 8.2 [W4, L1] 10 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Eric Liknaitzky [W2, L3] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Jeremy Greenwood [W2, L2] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Tony Minichiello 9.1 [W1, L4] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- George Stewart 9.2 [L4]
- Ben Cooper 9.2
- Daniel Ferry 9.2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentJeremy Greenwood bt Tony Minichiello (Oct 29) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
A return to group-winning ways for Omurchadu but it couldn't have been much tighter. Richard matched Omurchadu for total number of wins, and beat him in their head to head. Matt who beat Richard was only one more point adrift too... But in the end, the earning bonus points proved crucial. So, bragging rights to Richard, warm applause to Matt and a champion's ovation for Omurchadu.
- Omurchadu Ghiassi 9.2 [W5, L1] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Richard Combs 8.2 [W5, L1] 11 RUNNER UP
- Matt Johnson 10.1 [W4, L2] 10 includes 2 bonus points
- Jude De Silva 9.2 [W2, L4] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Sara Spearpoint 10.1 [W2, L3] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Liu Li 7.2 [W2, L3] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Richard Chatfield 9.2 [L6] 1
- Ian McLeod 9.1
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentMatt Johnson bt Richard Combs (Nov 13) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
A few more matches played would have helped in this group... As it is, Stephen efficiently grabs the group thanks to bonus points and three good wins leaving Keven a slightly unlucky runner-up. Now had Kevin played Stephen, who knows what might have happened!
- Stephen Cocking 10.2 [W3] 8 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Kevin Tran [W3, L1] 7 RUNNER UP
- Peter Mattravers 9.1 [W1, L3] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Maud Salber 10.2 [W2] 4
- Robert Molesworth 9.2 [L2] 2
- Britta Becker 9.1 [L1]
- Richard Clarke 10.1 [L2]
Match of the Group:Maud Salber bt Kevin Tran (Nov 30) 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
Arina took the blows (lost to Thimios), stayed the course (two unfinished matches!) and notched up her own good wins. And all that was enough - with the help of bonus points too - to win the group in style. Congratulations to our champ and thanks to the others for making this an entertaining group.
- Arina Piskunova [W2, L1, UF2] 8 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Luca Ganz 10.2 [W2, UF1] 5 RUNNER UP
- David Aron 9.1 [W1, L3] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Simon Tabor [W1, UF1] 3
- Conor Macklin [W1] 2
- Thimios Tzallas [W1, L1] 2
- Karen Gibb [L3]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentArina Piskunova bt David Aron (Oct 30) 6-7 (2-7), 7-5, 6-4
Stephan did his very best to win the group playing two more matches than Paul and equalling him on points - but the head to head was crucial. Played towards the end of the round it was effectively the group decider. Well done Paul and commiserations to Stephan and the rest of the chasing pack.
- Paul Schlesinger [W3] 6 WINNER
- Stephan Fowler 10.2 [W3, L2] 6 RUNNER UP
- Athina Kapsi 10.2 [W1, L1] 3
- Nigel Cansfield 10.2 [W1, L3] 3
- Andrew Willatt [W1] 2
- Fiona Amy 10.2 [L3] 1
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentPaul Schlesinger bt Stephan Fowler (Nov 27) 7-5, 6-2
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Waterlow Park archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles and Doubles matches for Waterlow Park.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)