Friendly, competitive tennis on Welwyn & Hatfield's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA for adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are played to short-set format; if a set reaches 4 games all, the next game decides the set. If the match reaches a set all, a match tiebreak is played. (Long format matches may be played if both players agree.)
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllWelwyn & Hatfield Singles - Round 3 | Thursday 18 July 2019 to Wednesday 11 September 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 14 August 2019)
Eighty percent of matches played which is excellent for our still new Welwyn and Hatfield league! Thanks for playing all those matches and for all the sporting commentaries. We hope they will act as beacons to other local players and we can continue to grow the league.
Che stamped his authority on the round as the strongest player in town, but well done to him for sticking to his task and getting all his matches set up and played. With the chasing pack all hoovering up bonus points, you can never be too careful! As it is, Valerio, with a couple of nice wins of his own, earns the silver this time!
- Che Meakins [W4] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Valerio Calvanese [W2, L1] 6 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Jonathan Sandars 9.1 [W1, L3] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Andrew Lynch [L3] 3 includes 2 bonus points
- James Duncan 10.1 [W1, L1] 2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentValerio Calvanese bt Andrew Lynch (Jul 21) 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
Now had Henry been able to play a couple more matches we might have had a different group winner. He did, after all, defeat the group front-runner, Angela. But Angela backed up her three wins with bonus points which made her very hard to catch! So it is very well done Angela, and commiserations to Henry (who nevertheless earns the silver over Joe by the slender margin of a slightly better sets and games conceded record).
- Angela Anastasiou 10.1 [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Henry Blain [W2] 4 RUNNER UP
- Rene Radhay [W2, L1] 4
- Joe Bonfante [W1, L2] 2
- Anna Medvedeva [L4] 2 includes 2 bonus points
Match of the Group:Henry Blain bt Angela Anastasiou (Aug 4) 6-4, 6-3
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Welwyn & Hatfield archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Welwyn & Hatfield.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
In this short-format approved league, matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, and do count toward bonus points.
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)