Friendly, competitive tennis on Westway's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA for adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are played to short-set format; if a set reaches 4 games all, the next game decides the set. If the match reaches a set all, a match tiebreak is played. (Long format matches may be played if both players agree.)
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllWestway Singles - Round 45 | Thursday 20 February 2020 to Wednesday 15 April 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 18 March 2020)
A mixed round in Westway with some groups much more active than others before we had to bring down the curtain early. Another time, do let us know if you are having problems arranging matches or hearing back and we will help if we can.
A quiet-ish group in which two players didn't get going before we had to announce an early closure. But well done Marcus, the only player who managed to get his bonus points which lobbed him to the top of the group. Commiserations to Herve who beat him and may have improved on his points had the round run its full course. Hope you can all play next time!
- Marcus Williams 8.1 [W2, L1] 6 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Herve Lagadec 7.2 [W2] 4 RUNNER UP
- Jose Godoy [W1, L1] 3
- Fergus Foster [W1, L2] 3
- James Kendall 8.1 [L1] 1
- Sebastien Hung 9.2 [L1]
- Kieran Rayani
- Laurent Sicsic
Match of the Group:Fergus Foster bt James Kendall (Mar 19) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
It is very unusual and a real shame to have just one match played in a group but unfortunately that is the case here. So Alexey tops the group. Do hope you can play next time and if you are ever having problems arranging matches or hearing back, do let us know.
- Alexey Neduzhko [W1] 2 WINNER
- Paris Pennesi 9.1 [L1] RUNNER UP
- Daniele Bonomo
- Edward Meinert
- James Asensio
- Nikolas Tsirigakis
- Seth Turquand-Cook
Match of the Group:Alexey Neduzhko bt Paris Pennesi (Feb 25) 6-1, 6-4
Francesca made all the running in this very quiet group, notching up two wins out of two, and winning the group. Well played!
- Francesca Farrell [W2] 4 WINNER
- Alessandro Pighi [L1] 1 RUNNER UP
- Jasmine Nelson 8.2 [L1]
- Andrea Matti withdrawn
- Kavita Poddar
- Lachezar Stoitsov 9.1
- Patrick Borges
- Willy Bonneuil
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentFrancesca Farrell bt Alessandro Pighi (Feb 28) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
Well done group 4 which was by far the busiest in this round with 3 players getting their bonus points and every match coming with a commentary. After Ferri withdrew, George played every match possible, which meant a great match with runner up Qizhe, a fun time playing Declan, a lot of running against Anne-France and being tested by Marcel who has an excellent serve! Well played all and congrats to George.
- George Ebunam [W4] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Qizhe Sun 10.2 [W2, L1] 6 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Declan Flood [L3] 3 includes 2 bonus points
- Anne-France Kennedy [W1, L1] 2
- Marcel Riederer [L2] 2
- Ferri Gharavi-smith withdrawn
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentGeorge Ebunam bt Marcel Riederer (Mar 16) 6-7 (2-7), 7-5, 6-4
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Westway archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Westway.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)