Friendly, competitive tennis on Wigan's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Contact details are emailed
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllWigan Singles - Round 4 | Thursday 16 February 2017 to Wednesday 12 April 2017 (Midpoint: Wednesday 15 March 2017)
Thanks for all your efforts in getting onto the courts in this spring round, we hope you enjoyed yourselves. Please do continue to help spread the word, we'd love to see the league grow to two groups again now the warmer weather is on it's way!
Mark finishes the round unbeaten with three wins from three and bonus points, but this isn't quite enough to reclaim the group crown. Danny shows the importance of getting matches set up and played, matching Mark's win count but also adding two extra points from sets he won in marathon encounters with Mark and Steven to climb into the lead. A special mention to James who alongside Danny played the most matches of the round - great work!
- Danny Gallagher 9.2 [W3, L2] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Mark Perry 8.2 [W3] 8 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Steven Hanley 10.1 [W2, L1] 5
- Adam Baron [W1, L1] 2
- Alvaro Portela-Gonzalez [W1, L1] 2
- James Weir 10.2 [L5] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Richard Fort
Match of the Group:Mark Perry bt Danny Gallagher (Mar 5) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (8-6)
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Wigan archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous rounds for Wigan.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)