Woking Singles Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Woking's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
The Woking Leisure Centre and Pool in the Park, operated by Freedom Leisure, lie at the heart of the borough's sport and leisure facilities. The leisure centre is set in the beautiful surroundings of Woking Park with ample parking (free for up to 4 hours). Facilities include six squash courts, a multi-function main hall, ancillary halls and studios, a newly reburbished gym, weights room, sauna, spa and steam suite.
Open Monday-Sunday from 9am daylight hours
"Key" members: free. For details see http://www.woking.gov.uk/thekey
Status (available to children, youths, students, the disabled and over 60s) £3.60.
Concession (Woking Borough taxpayers on a low income in receipt of certain benefits) £1.80.
Winston Churchill School Sports Centre
The courts are also home to the Churchill Tennis Club
Three outdoor, floodlit courts located in this specialist sports college, open until 9pm. During term time, there is availability Monday,Wednesday and Thursday evenings, Saturday afternoons (1pm-6pm) and Sundays (9am-6pm). During school holidays, there is much more availability.
Cost £6.50 per hour.
Send Recreation Ground
Brookwood Recreation Ground
Singles Round 20 | Thursday 26 May to Wednesday 20 July 2016 (Mid-point: Wednesday 22 June 2016)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Francesco Salvi 9.2 [W2, L1] 7 includes two bonus points
- Neil Smithson 10.2 [W3] 6
- Simon Ogden 9.1 [W1] 2 withdrawn
- Phil Lloyd-Bushell 10.2 [W1, L2, UF1] 1
- Nicola Homer 10.2 [L4, UF1] 1
- Mark Gugenheim withdrawn
- Tom Hague 10.1 withdrawn
- "Enjoyable match despite the drizzle!" -- Neil
Match of the Group:
Reveal CommentNeil Smithson bt Francesco Salvi (Jun 8) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
- "Wow. Epic match, 3 hours in fading light. Very even, every game seemed to go to deuce. Great fun." -- Neil
- "good tennis, good company, good fun!
" -- Francesco
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- David Mansfield 10.1 [W6] 14 includes two bonus points
- James Starr 10.2 [W4, L1] 8
- Matthew Hagan 10 [W3, L2] 8 includes two bonus points
- Mathew Megens 10.2 [W3, L2] 8 includes two bonus points
- Kumara Raghavendra 10.2 [W1, L5] 5 includes two bonus points
- James Mcmahon 10.2 [L5] 3 includes two bonus points
- Emma Gray 10.2 [W1, L3] 2
- "Good, competitive match in the sun. Quite a few games going to deuce.
Wind played it's part." -- James
- "Probably played on the warmest day of the year in the evening sunshine. Some good rallies with plenty of double faults from myself. " -- James
- "The final result was not reflective of the actual match as there were lots of deuce games, Emma won her game by breaking my serve, and plenty of long rallies with hardly any double faults of either of us." -- Mathew
Match of the Group:
Reveal CommentEmma Gray bt Kumara Raghavendra (Jul 7) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
- "Very good match. Lots of good points and lots of deuce games Emma came back from 1-4 down to win the match!" -- Kumara
- "Really enjoyable match, very competitive with good rallies." -- Matthew
- "Slightly windy conditions didn't help with serving, and the ball holding up or being hit long. " -- James
- "A veritable war of attrition. Highly competitive. Just managed to hold James off over the two sets. Good stuff for a Sunday morning." -- David
- "Enjoyable match with some good rallies and a few dence games. The match was much closer than the score line suggests." -- James
- "Touch and go with weather. However, tournament referee gave us the green light at midday. Good match in trying conditions." -- David
- "Very evenly matched contest, most games went to multiple dueces, could've gone either way." -- Matthew
- "Very close match. Lots of good shots, quite a few deuce games. Could have gone either way. Lots of fun!" -- Kumara
- "It was a very competitive match, lots of deuces and James had many excellent service return winners. " -- Mathew
- "Good match. Close games and good rallies. Very humid too..." -- David
- "Scoreline misleading, was much closer and quite a few deuce games." -- Matthew
- "Again, scoreline is misleading. Some good rallies and points. " -- David
- "Played on the new Court at Horsell. Good surface. In fact, this probably threw us both off our games, getting a consistent bounce, absence of potholes, net set for volleyball, etc (as is usually the case)..." -- David
- "Score is a bit misleading. Lucky to catch Emma early in her tournament preparations." -- David
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Woking archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Woking.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)