Woking Singles Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on Woking's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
The Woking Leisure Centre and Pool in the Park, operated by Freedom Leisure, lie at the heart of the borough's sport and leisure facilities. The leisure centre is set in the beautiful surroundings of Woking Park with ample parking (free for up to 4 hours). Facilities include six squash courts, a multi-function main hall, ancillary halls and studios, a newly reburbished gym, weights room, sauna, spa and steam suite.
Open Monday-Sunday from 9am daylight hours
"Key" members: free. For details see http://www.woking.gov.uk/thekey
Status (available to children, youths, students, the disabled and over 60s) £3.60.
Concession (Woking Borough taxpayers on a low income in receipt of certain benefits) £1.80.
Winston Churchill School Sports Centre
The courts are also home to the Churchill Tennis Club
Three outdoor, floodlit courts located in this specialist sports college, open until 9pm. During term time, there is availability Monday,Wednesday and Thursday evenings, Saturday afternoons (1pm-6pm) and Sundays (9am-6pm). During school holidays, there is much more availability.
Cost £6.50 per hour.
Send Recreation Ground
Brookwood Recreation Ground
Singles Round 21 | Thursday 11 August to Wednesday 5 October 2016 (Mid-point: Wednesday 7 September 2016)
SINGLES | GROUP 1
- Herve Alexis [W2] 4
- Francesco Salvi 9.2 [W1] 2
- Ekaterina Zabelina [W1, L1] 2
- David Mansfield 10.1 [L1]
- Eddie D'acunzo [L2] withdrawn
- Edward Saldanha 10.2 withdrawn
- Edward Saldanha 10.2 withdrawn
- "Match was played indoors because of rain." -- Herve
- "strange surface" -- Francesco
- "Very windy" -- Herve
SINGLES | GROUP 2
- James Pearce [W4] 10 includes two bonus points
- Stuart Orchard [W4, L1] 10 includes two bonus points
- Rajinder Poonian 10.1 [W4, L2] 10 includes two bonus points
- Terry Wilks 10.2 [W1, L3] 5 includes two bonus points
- Mathew Megens 10.2 [W1, L4] 4 includes two bonus points
- Matthew Hagan 10 [L2] 1
- Saleh M K Saleh 9.2 [L2]
- "An afternoon of only a few showers (thankfully), many spectators and plenty of great games!" -- Rajinder
- "A good game on a lovely summer's evening on a surface which took some time getting used to!" -- Rajinder
- "Thanks for a great match" -- Stuart
- "Just avoided the rain! " -- James
- "Great game, thoroughly enjoyed." -- Stuart
- "An enjoyable match on a great evening for tennis, we even had an occasional ball boy to help!" -- Terry
- "Some great tennis and another sunny day! " -- James
- "No doubt we were the sporting highlight in Woking park versus the netball players and 2020 cricketers! A great and very close match in the evening sunshine. " -- Rajinder
- "Great first match - some very entertaining (and exhausting!) rallies and a good laugh in the sunshine! " -- James
SINGLES | GROUP 3
- Rahul Khera 10.2 [W4, L1] 10 includes two bonus points
- Dave Allen [W3, UF1] 6
- James Mcmahon 10.2 [W1, L1] 2
- Henry Wood [W1, L2] 2
- Anne Sharp [L3] 1
- Ian Varley [L2, UF1]
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Woking archive.
The results listed here include all previous rounds of Singles and Doubles matches for Woking.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)