Friendly, competitive tennis on Acton & Gunnersburys' public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllActon and Gunnersbury Singles - Round 41 | Thursday 19 September 2019 to Wednesday 13 November 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 16 October 2019)
Highs and lows in this round in Acton & Gunnersbury with lots of good matches but two withdrawals and some players playing only a few matches which always brings down the stats. Hope you can get more arranged next time, especially with the great new facilities in Gunnersbury Park!
In a repeat of the last round, Flavio comes first and Stan comes second! Elsewhere in the group, it was mixed up with Fergal overtaking Vikas to come third. Well played all! Who will take on the top two next time? We look forward to finding out!
- Flavio Taffoni 7.2 [W5] 10 WINNER
- Stan Sispela [W3, L1, UF1] 7 RUNNER UP
- Fergal O'Mullane [W1, L2, UF1] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Jonathan-Pierre Lion [W2, L3, UF1] 4
- Olamide Oduwole 7.1 [W1, UF1] 2
- Vikas Wadhwani 8.2 [W1, L2] 2
- Baris Ali Kibar 9.1 [L5]
- Gavin Shek withdrawn
Match of the Group:Stan Sispela bt Baris Ali Kibar (Nov 10) 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
This group was on the quiet side and unusually, no one got their bonus points but at least everyone got on court and had one match. Robin tops the group, undefeated in 3 matches and Marc moves up into second place. Well played and hope Ed is recovering from his tennis elbow.
- Robin Sibley [W3] 6 WINNER
- Marc Butterlin 8.2 [W2] 4 RUNNER UP
- Tolga Yetis [W1] 2
- Osarobo Agbontaen [L2] 1
- Matthew Khoory 10.2 [L1] 1
- Ed Annan [L2] withdrawn
- Owen Phillips 10.1 [L1]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentMarc Butterlin bt Osarobo Agbontaen (Oct 15) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
The overall standings are hard on Stephanie as she won all her 3 matches and beat both Diomid and Alvaro. But Diomid played six matches, won 4 and got his bonus points and Alvaro played 5 matches and won 4. As the league is a points chase, it meant they both finished ahead of Stephanie, so the final order is Diomid, Alvaro, Stephanie. Well played all! A shame not to see more of Sukhi and nothing from Anita this time. Hope you are both ok!
- Diomid Sarateanu 10.2 [W4, L2] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Alvaro Chirivella [W4, L1] 8 RUNNER UP
- Stephanie Burt 10.1 [W3] 6
- Caroline Gammage 10.2 [W1, L2] 2
- Jerry Read [L2] 1
- Ankur Jaiswal [L4]
- Sukhi Bains [L1]
- Anita Sutton
Match of the Group:Diomid Sarateanu bt Jerry Read (Sep 25) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Acton & Southfield Parks archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Acton & Gunnersbury.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)