Collapse AllBarnes & Sheen Singles - Round 40 | Thursday 23 January 2020 to Wednesday 18 March 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 19 February 2020)
Well over two thirds of the matches were played in this wintry round which is great going and may the memories of those matches stay in the mind and keep the passion for tennis alive while we all concentrate on getting through the current crisis. Tennis will be back and we are thinking of you!
Now had Martin played a few more matches this might well have been his group (he beat the eventual winner), but this was really a case of who dares to play, wins! Ian, returning to the league, played more and won more matches than anyone else. Indeed he completed all his matches and on that ground alone (never mind the good tennis) deserved his group win!
- Ian Hancock 8.1 [W3, L1] 6 WINNER
- Martin Evans [W1] 2 RUNNER UP
- Sara Evans 7.1 [W1, L1] 2
- Chris Moore [L1]
- Francis Lacan 8.2 [L2]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentMartin Evans bt Ian Hancock (Mar 14) 6-4, 6-2
Even though the silver and bronze medalists picked up bonus points and he didn't, Peter's strong showing over his four matches was enough to win him the group unbeaten. It would have been fun to see him square up against runner-up Tony, but that will have to wait for another round. Well played Peter!
- Peter Grant [W4] 8 WINNER
- Tony Nesbit 8.2 [W2, L1] 7 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Bernard O'Keeffe [W2, L2] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Nick Kusturovic [W3, L2] 6
- Jordan Roberts [W1, L2] 3
- Philippa Seal 10.1 [L5] 2 includes 2 bonus points