Friendly, competitive tennis on Bury's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Interested in this League?
Join The League
New rounds for the Bury league start regularly. See next round dates and entry fees above. Entries close the Monday before a round starts. You are never committed to joining more than one round and round usually last eight weeks (ten weeks where we also run doubles rounds).
We offer unbelievable prices on tennis balls. And league members get extra savings!
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Contact details are emailed
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllBury Singles - Round 3 | Thursday 10 November 2016 to Wednesday 18 January 2017 (Midpoint: Wednesday 14 December 2016)
Another small round but positively we saw the most matches played so far in in this still young league. Thanks to everyone for all their efforts, and please do help to continue to spread the word - we'd love to see this league grow in 2017!
With Alex and Chava's match unfinished because they ran out of time, Alex and Ryan are equal on four points and it all comes down to their head to head. This was a very tight battle which Ryan held his nerve to come through in a match tie-break and as a result win the group - well played both!
- Ryan Harper [W2] 4 WINNER
- Alex Kenyon 10.2 [W1, L1, UF1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Chava Pearl [W1, UF1] 3
- Cath Inchbold [L3] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Andrew Osullivan
- Kath Biddle 10.2
Match of the Group:Ryan Harper bt Alex Kenyon (Nov 20) 5-7, 6-3, [10-6]
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Bury archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous rounds for Bury.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)