Friendly, competitive tennis on Clapham Common's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other players in their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllClapham Common Singles - Round 54 | Thursday 3 December 2020 to Wednesday 6 January 2021 (Midpoint: Wednesday 30 December 2020)
It's a shame this round had to end early due to lockdown but at least we managed to get past the midway point meaning that you'll all receive a 50% round pass discount for next time! Well done for braving the often wintry weather to get so many matches played and we look forward to seeing you back in action before too long!
This was a busy group with all but one player making a quick start and earning midway bonus points and group champ Benjamin winning 5 out of 6 matches. Daisuke inflicted Benjamin's only defeat while Carlos, Sergio and Hayden each took the opening set against the champ before losing in 3 close sets. Exciting tennis across the board!
- Benjamin Bowers [W5, L1] 13 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- James Edbrooke [W3, L1] 9 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Daisuke Dei [W3, L2] 9 includes 2 bonus points
- Max Budny [W3] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Tridib Das [W2, L3] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Francois Le Brun 9.2 [W1, L2] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Hayden Schrijvers [L4] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Sergio Aguiar 9.1 [W1, L3] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Carlos Vega Alonso 7.2 [L2] 2
Match of the Group:James Edbrooke bt Hayden Schrijvers (Dec 15) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
Congratulations to Ben for securing the Group 2 crown by notching up 3 wins including what proved to be a key win over runner up Rob. Ben's toughest match was against Stephane though with lots of deuces and the opening set going to a tiebreak. There was a gutsy win for Rebecca against Rob too, with her edging the opening set tiebreak 10-8!
- Ben Thompson 10.2 [W3] 8 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Rob Kinnard [W2, L3] 6 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Stephane Grenon [W2, L2] 5
- George Penman 9.1 [W2] 4
- Rebecca Dawkins [W1] 2
- Emma Stevens [L3] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Adam Rankin [L1] 1
- Matheus Lacava 9.2 [L1] 1
- Jirina Baresova
- Karli Gellion
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentBen Thompson bt Stephane Grenon (Dec 20) 6-7 (6-8), 6-2, 6-2
Early match scheduling pays off when there's a lockdown (!) so the top 5 spots were claimed by those who played 4 matches apiece and earned the midway bonus points. Top of the table was Olly with 4 wins while Paul secured runner up spot ahead of Ben by winning their head to head. Well played to Anna too who held her nerve to close out her match against Gerard by winning her first tiebreak.
- OLLY JONES 8.2 [W4] 10 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Paul Thieblemont [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Ben Witcombe [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- James Wood [W1, L3] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Anna Sophie Hogarth [W1, L3] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Megan Blair [L2]
- Gerard Dempsey [L2]
- Benjamin Clayton
- Lynda Horgan
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentAnna Sophie Hogarth bt Gerard Dempsey (Dec 14) 6-2, 7-6 (7-1)
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Clapham Common archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Clapham Common.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)