Friendly, competitive tennis on Dorchester's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllDorchester Singles - Round 13 | Thursday 13 September 2018 to Wednesday 7 November 2018 (Midpoint: Wednesday 10 October 2018)
This was a fairly quiet round of Dorchester Tennis League with only half the possible matches completed, perhaps you were still recovering from your marathon matches last time! We welcomed 4 new players to the league though and there was a great 3-set battle in Group 1... so it's good you enjoyed the tennis played. Hope to see you all back again next time!
It was a successful return to league action for John who won 3 matches to finish top of Group 1 with a 3 point margin over runner up Cameron. This was a fairly quiet group with only 5 matches played, the pick of these without a doubt being Peter's 3-set comeback against Cameron. After going a set down Peter narrowly warded off defeat by taking the second set in a tiebreak and then secured a break of serve in the decider. A great match!
- John Clancy 10.2 [W3] 6 WINNER
- Cameron Spence 10.1 [L3] 3 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Steve Bright [W1, L1] 2
- Peter Hateley [W1] 2
- Theresa Davies [L1]
Match of the Group:Peter Hateley bt Cameron Spence (Oct 5) 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
Congratulations to Chris for winning the group on his league debut, recording 3 wins to finish 5 points clear of runner up Stuart. It was a close run contest for runner up spot with Stuart just pipping third placed Andy to the post by one point, thanks to winning a set in his defeat to Andy... whereas Andy's defeat to Chris was in straight sets. A shout out to Paul who was stung during his match with Chris and succumbed to a double bagel... not a match to remember for Paul!
- Chris Dawson-Bishop [W3] 8 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Stuart Gallagher [W1, L1] 3 RUNNER UP
- Andy Sagar [W1, L1] 2
- Mike Greenfield 10.2 [L1]
- Paul Holroyd [L2]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentAndy Sagar bt Stuart Gallagher (Sep 18) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Dorchester archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Dorchester.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)