Friendly, competitive tennis for women on Edinburgh's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our singles league for women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a singles league just for women
- Groups are put together by standard
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For all women over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllEdinburgh Women's Singles - Round 6 | Thursday 11 April 2019 to Wednesday 5 June 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 8 May 2019)
Only two of all possible matches were not played, which by our reckoning, means 87% of all available matches were played. That's a great statistic. Many thanks to everyone for their commitment. This may have been a small league with just one group but as the many match commentaries show, games were played in a great and friendly spirit. Well done all!
Last time Roberta played in this league, back in round 1, she topped the group. Now she has done it again. A clear round with 5 wins out of 5 and bonus points to boot, lands here at the top of the podium, so many congratulations to her. Lindsay was only two points behind, losing only to the champ, though she did make her work for it. "So many long rallies," said Roberta. "I don't think I could have survived a third set." Thanks for all the great match commentaries and good to hear of Eleanor's "great forehand", Christiane's net skills, Ana-Maria's persistence and the enjoyable games with Mettje. Well played all!
- Roberta Bergero 10.1 [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Lindsay Maclean 9.2 [W4, L1] 10 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Ana-Maria Ristoiu [W3, L2] 6
- Christiane Fischer- Smith [W1, L3] 2
- Eleanor Stanley 10.2 [L4] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Mettje Hunneman [L3]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentLindsay Maclean bt Ana-Maria Ristoiu (May 28) 6-2, 6-3
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Edinburgh Women's archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Edinburgh Women's.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)