Friendly, competitive tennis on Golden Lane's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are played to short-set format; if a set reaches 4 games all, the next game decides the set. If the match reaches a set all, a matchtiebreak is played (see link on right)
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllGolden Lane Singles - Round 27 | Thursday 17 August 2017 to Wednesday 11 October 2017 (Midpoint: Wednesday 13 September 2017)
Some players got sunshine, others were faced with rain, but that didn’t stop everyone completing some really great matches in the Golden Lane League this round! There were lengthy rallies, tight sets and plenty of deuce points all round, making for exciting as well as enjoyable tennis. The commentaries reveal the lovely spirit of sportsmanship in this league – well played everyone!
It’s no coincidence that the only player to score bonus points this round is the one who came top of the group – it’s so important to get those matches played! Well done Nigel. Lucas and Bernat had a gripping tiebreak, Bernat and Christopher battled on through the rain, Nigel and Bernat played an enjoyable two sets, Matthew and Nigel had long rallies, Lucas and Christopher had plenty of deuce points, and Christopher showcased his impressive lobs!
- Nigel Billen 8.1 [W3] 11 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Lucas Arnold [W2] 6 RUNNER UP
- Christopher Hill 8.2 [W1, L2] 5
- Bernat Gabor [L3] 3
- Matthew Burgess [L1] 1
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentLucas Arnold bt Bernat Gabor (Oct 1) 5-4 (8-6), 5-3
Once more, the player in first place was the only one to score bonus points! Those two extra points can make all the difference – congratulations Sriram! Well done also to Saurabh who was close runner-up. Saurabh and Sriram had a very tight first set, Sriram and Teresa had plenty of close games, and Alex and Julie had an enjoyable match!
- Sriram Bharadwaj [W2, L1] 9 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Saurabh Bikram 10.2 [W2] 6 RUNNER UP
- Alex Bell [W1] 3
- Julie Smith [L2] 2
- Teresa Fernández de Arévalo [L2] 2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentSaurabh Bikram bt Sriram Bharadwaj (Sep 10) 7-5, 6-2
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Golden Lane archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous rounds for Golden Lane.
You earn one point for every set you win and a point for completing a match. Matches are short format. See here for details. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)