Friendly, competitive tennis on Haggerston Park's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllHaggerston Park Singles - Round 10 | Thursday 1 August 2019 to Wednesday 25 September 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 28 August 2019)
Rather too many matches didn't get played this time, so next time do let us know if we can help in anyway. We email players regularly with reminders and updates but we are happy to make individual contact when asked and of course we offer our free tennis balls as an incentive to get scheduling. Well done to those who did play; there were some lovely matches.
With Boris returning to the league after a break and five players new to Haggerston Park League there was a feeling of renewal and "anything might happen" in Group One this round. When it came to the tennis, however, Boris had everything under control, playing and winning all four of his matches. Well done! Harriet headed the chasing pack and earns the runner up title. Good tennis but a few more matches could have changed things a lot so do let us know if you are struggling to get matches set up and played!
- Boris Kergall [W4] 8 WINNER
- Harriet Dorrington [W1, L1, UF1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Jiri Kurecka [W1, L1] 2
- Brendan Maginnis 8.1 [L1, UF1] 1
- Paweł Pietruszka [L2]
- Sam Morgan [L1]
- George Crowe
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentBoris Kergall bt Jiri Kurecka (Sep 8) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
What a shame more tennis wasn't played - we didn't even get to see the head-to-head between Daniel and Edward, and that, by rights, should have been the group decider. Well done to both for their two wins each. To determine the winner, we look at the sets and games conceded, and on that narrow measure, Daniel is our champ this time.
- Daniel Salmon [W2] 4 WINNER
- Edward Bowie [W2] 4 RUNNER UP
- Ivan Polakovic [L2]
- Jon Head [L1]
- Thomas Grime [L1]
- Alexis Garcia
- Lionel Gendebien
Match of the Group:Daniel Salmon bt Ivan Polakovic (Aug 24) 6-2, 6-4
Opportunities to win this group went by the wayside with too many matches not set up and played. It's a pity, especially for a player like Claire who beat the eventual winner. Nevertheless, Cam made the best of the open run, putting the defeat behind him and winning three matches - more than anyone else. Ernest deprived Claire of the silver by winning their head-to-head.
- Cam Roberts [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Ernest Storga [W2, L1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Claire Sweet [W2, L1] 4
- Alex Williams [L3]
- David Mason [L1]
- Andreas Viljoen
- Sinead King
Match of the Group:Claire Sweet bt Cam Roberts (Aug 11) 6-4, 7-5
On the points and total number of wins Patrick is the clear winner and Max the runner up by a comfortable margin but that hides the real competitiveness of the group. Patrick may have drawn ahead of Max but their own match was a tightly contested affair that went the distance and Max and Peter (who took the bronze) both finished with three wins each. A much busier group so thank you for the effort put in.
- Patrick O'Brien 10.2 [W6] 12 WINNER
- Max O'Donoghue [W3, L2] 9 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Peter McIntyre [W3, L1] 6
- Edward De Petrucci [W2, L3] 4
- Amar Datar [L3] 1
- Alison Van Sittert [L2]
- Emma Haggas [L1] withdrawn
- Martha Lee [L2]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentPatrick O'Brien bt Max O'Donoghue (Aug 15) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Andrew's return to the league is a triumphant one but Josh made sure he had to work for his group win with a tasty three setter, and that meant he was only a point behind Andrew at the end of the round.
- Andrew Morris [W4] 8 WINNER
- Josh Clarke [W3, L1] 7 RUNNER UP
- Lucy Marples [L2]
- Margarita Perez Herra [L2]
- Poppy Walker [L2]
- Vanessa Hardy withdrawn
Match of the Group:Andrew Morris bt Josh Clarke (Sep 25) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Haggerston Park archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Haggerston Park.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)