Friendly, competitive tennis on Haggerston Park's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllHaggerston Park Singles - Round 13 | Thursday 30 July 2020 to Wednesday 23 September 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 26 August 2020)
It was great to see friendly, competitive tennis make a return to the courts of Haggerston Park Tennis League and to be able to run 7 groups this time! Numbers were swelled by welcoming 25 new players to the league alongside our regulars and returners which is fantastic, and collectively you managed to play over half of all possible matches (and more than this in several of the groups). Thanks for supporting your local league and we're looking forward to the next round already!
Congratulations to Tom who climbed 6 places from last round to finish top of the table this time, his 5 wins and 2 defeats being enough to edge clear of Ganesh in runner up spot. Kudos to Ganesh for winning their head to head though, a match that was "a lot of fun despite it raining for half of it" and he also won 5 matches to mark a successful promotion to Group 1. David lost to Ganesh but also recorded 5 wins to finish in the top 3.
- Tom Jessop [W5, L2] 13 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Ganesh Rajaram 7.2 [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- David Hazel 7.2 [W5, L1] 12 includes 2 bonus points
- Adrian Mcdowell [L3] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Karim El Afany [L2] 1
- Amon Ghaiumy [L1]
- Jack Newman [L3]
- Joshua Cole [L3]
Match of the Group:David Hazel bt Tom Jessop (Aug 28) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
This was a fairly quiet group with one withdrawal and a number of matches left unplayed, however Leo and Fergus were in close competition for top spot and played a "hugely enjoyable" 3 setter which Fergus edged after "lots of running and some amazing shot making from Leo". Leo played an extra match to edge one point clear while Peter did well to withstand Keir's challenge in a close second set on a windy evening.
- Leo Stepan 10.2 [W3, L1] 7 WINNER
- Fergus Anderson [W3] 6 RUNNER UP
- Peter O'neill 9.2 [W1, L2] 3
- Denis Leaker [L1] 1
- Tyrone Dunnill [L1]
- Keir Jackson 8.2 [L2]
- Luke Jenkinson withdrawn
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentFergus Anderson bt Leo Stepan (Aug 16) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
Congratulations to Patrick for retaining his Group 3 crown through a combination of on court and scheduling skills, opening up a 2 point lead over runner up David. It was David who came out on top in their head to head though and was the player with the most wins (3) on his Leagues debut, great effort! Well played to Matthew too who pushed Patrick hard in an exciting 3 setter played "over three hours on two separate occasions"... what a match!
- Patrick O'Brien 10.2 [W2, L4] 8 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- David Park [W3] 6 RUNNER UP
- Jeremy Pennycook [W1, L1, UF1] 4
- Jonathan Bedford [W2, L1] 4
- Matthew Bloxham [L1] 1
- Victor Heraud [W1, L1]
- Philipp Friemann [UF1]
- Lucas Main [L1]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentPatrick O'Brien bt Matthew Bloxham (Aug 28) 7-6 (7-4), 5-7, 7-5
There were some really exciting contests in this group including runner up Kieran's "epic match under the superheated London sun!" against Henry and another 3 setter in two parts against Timothy... but it was Timothy who edged the group title by 2 points. Henry again provided tough opposition with his match against the group champ going to a third set tiebreak, while Katie dug deep on a "very hot day" to withstand Julian's aces and sneak the win.
- Timothy Oates 8.2 [W5, L1, UF1] 14 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Kieran Clemow [W5, L1] 12 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Ian Mcgee 9.1 [W3, UF1] 7
- Alexandre Becquignon [W2, L1] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Henry Danowski [W1, L3] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Julian Borensztein [L4] 3 includes 2 bonus points
- Katie Szymanski [W1, L3] 2
- Lewis Botham [L4] 2
Match of the Group:Timothy Oates bt Henry Danowski (Aug 26) 6-4, 5-7, 7-6 (7-5)
It was a commanding performance from Charles winning all 7 matches and earning midway bonus points to finish 9 points clear at the top of Group 5, well ahead of the chasing pack. The challenge was led by Philip whose 2 wins from 6 matches secured runner up spot, one point clear of third placed Jack. Jack and the windy conditions contrived to put Charles under pressure in their match, while a lucky net cord in the second set tiebreak helped Charles secure the win.
- Charles Elton 10.2 [W7] 16 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Philip Barnett [W2, L4] 7 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Jack Blumsom [W2, L1] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Kurt Williams 8.2 [W2, L1] 4
- Gleb Petrenko [W1, L1] 2
- Will Foster 10.2 [L3] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Angus Innes [L2]
- Duncan Cook 9.2 [L2]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentCharles Elton bt Jack Blumsom (Aug 21) 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
The value of good scheduling skills was again demonstrated in this group as Alex's 5 wins combined with midway bonus points saw him crowned group champ although runner up Laila played 2 more matches. Alastair and Clement were the only other players to pick up bonus points, while Alex's win over Patrick was memorable for being the "hottest weather I've ever played in"! Vikram and Chris were locked in a 3 set thriller when sadly they ran out of time and weren't able to reschedule.
- Alex Williams 10.2 [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Laila Khudairi [W5, L2] 10 RUNNER UP
- Vikram Joseph 10.2 [W2, L2, UF1] 6
- Alastair Stent [W1, L4] 5 includes 2 bonus points
- Patrick Greene [W2, L3] 4
- Chris Phillips [W1, UF1] 3
- Clement Mussotte [L4] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Cordelia Rayner [L1]
Match of the Group:Patrick Greene bt Alastair Stent (Sep 11) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
We had 2 Leagues debutant taking the top spots in an all-female Group 7, so congratulations to our new champ Hester and to runner up Julika. Hester's 5 wins without defeat saw her finish 2 points clear of the chasing pack, while Julika and Asyikin both notched up 3 wins. Sadly the group's only 3 setter was left uncompleted as Katharine and Gemma ran out of time at one set all... what a shame!
- Hester Van Diepen [W5] 10 WINNER
- Julika Loecklin [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Asyikin Nasir 10.2 [W3, L2] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Marlin Aranguren [W1, L2] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Katharine Round [L4, UF1] 3 includes 2 bonus points
- Gemma Keaney [L3, UF1] 1
Match of the Group:Hester Van Diepen bt Julika Loecklin (Aug 31) 6-0, 6-3
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Haggerston Park archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Haggerston Park.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)