Friendly, competitive tennis on Leith Links' public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllLeith Links Singles - Round 9 | Thursday 13 June 2019 to Wednesday 7 August 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 10 July 2019)
Cleverly, this round of the Leith Links Tennis league concludes in good time for you to all enjoy the Edinburgh Festival. And it's Tennis Fringe Firsts to all of you for getting over 80% of your matches played and making this a five star round! Hope you can all play again next time.
Newcomers to the Leith Links League Nicolas and Jesus went toe to toe for the honours in this really competitive group. Jesus earns the bragging rights for beating Nicolas in their head to head, but in the end their win/loss record was identical (Jesus was tripped up early in the round by Andrew C). However, the set that Nicolas took off Jesus earned him the crucial extra point to give him the group win. A fantastic top group - well played.
- Nicolas Favard [W5, L1] 13 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Jesus Cabrera [W5, L1] 12 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Andrew Robinson [W3, L2] 6
- Andrew Clarke [W2, L1] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Callum Macdonald 8.2 [W1, L4] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Charlie Hanks [L4]
- Iain MacRae [L3]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentJesus Cabrera bt Nicolas Favard (Jul 31) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
A great win for LTL regular Helen, who played and won all her matches and picked up her bonus points. Jo and John took up the chase but weren't able to close the points gap and instead it was a battle for second place which Jo grabbed along with two rather helpful bonus points! All but two matches were played in the group which was excellent and thank you for the excellent commentaries.
- Helen McMahon 9.1 [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Jo Sohn-Rethel [W2, L3] 8 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- John Heaney 9.1 [W3, L1] 7
- Tomasz Hanus [W2, L2] 5
- MIA Jiang [W1, L4] 2
- Andy Watson [L3]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentHelen McMahon bt Jo Sohn-Rethel (Jul 23) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Leith Links archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Leith Links.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)