Friendly, competitive tennis on Newport's public courts
Local Tennis Leagues is for anyone, no matter your tennis experience. Play YOUR way.
Join thousands of players in hundreds of Leagues across the UK. Whatever your standard, we’ll find you great matches!
Local Tennis Leagues is a place for friendly tennis, where you can meet like-minded people and make new friends.
Join us now!
KEEN TO JOIN?
From the dates above, choose your Round and click on the Join By link. If the Round is currently running, and it's before the mid-point, you can sign up as a late joiner here. Otherwise, check back soon for info about the next Round.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who plays 3 matches by the mid-point of any Round can claim a FREE tube of tennis balls! Plus, there are great offers in our shop.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Players are organised into groups of 6 to 8 players of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page the day before the Round begins
- Players arrange their own matches, book courts and share costs
- You can play on any court that suits both players
THE LEAGUE IS:
- For anyone over the age of 18
- For beginners as well as advanced players
- There are various scoring formats you can use for your match
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page the day before the Round begins
- Players are placed in groups according to their ITF World Tennis Number
- Each player attempts to play each of the other players in their group once during the Round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you play 3 matches before the mid-point of a Round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the Round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop
See here for the complete rules and regulations.
New players will need to create an account with us and include their LTA Advantage Number before joining a Round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players, you can join the next Round here.
For everything you need to know before you get started see the FAQs and review the Rules and Regulations, which all players agree to adhere to when playing in the Leagues.
If you notice any of our venue information is out of date, missing court costs or opening hours, please let us know.
Belle Vue Park34 Waterloo Road, Newport, NP20 4FP Tel: 02920 463335 full venue details »
Tredegar ParkCardiff Road, Newport, NP10 9DD Tel: 02920 463335 full venue details »
Rogerstone Welfare GroundTregwilym Rd, Newport, NP10 9EQ Tel: 02920 463335 full venue details »
Beechwood ParkChepstow Road, Newport, NP19 8AJ Tel: 02920 463335 full venue details »
Newport Tennis CentreNewport International Sport Village, Newport, NP19 4RA Tel: 01633 656757 full venue details »
Collapse AllNewport Singles - Round 8 | Thursday 6 April 2023 to Wednesday 31 May 2023 (Midpoint: Wednesday 3 May 2023)
|7||Manuel Fernandez Ramon||2||0||2||0||1||LL|
- "Being on the receiving end of some zippy flat forehands and clean volleys in the warm up I knew this was going to be a good game. I was pleasantly surprised then to go 4-0 up in the first set. Emily played some great tennis to earn the double break back and level things at 4-4. I stole yet another break in the 9th game after a wobbly service game which gave me the chance to serve it out at 5-4 up. Yes I was helped a little by the net cords (told you I was lucky ;) The second set was full of very solid hitting and plenty of games that went to deuce but overall I made less unforced errors on the key points. A very enjoyable game and a pleasure to meet you Emily, hope we get a chance to play again. All the best with your remaining games. " -- Nick
- "Always an interesting match playing the Dave derby!!. I took an early lead 3-1 and managed to stay ahead working myself to 5-3 up Dave held for 5-4 to keep me honest and i managed to serve out a close 1st set 6-4. Our time was up on the indoor courts so we moved outside on the perils that lay on court 6. The elements meant there were more errors as we adjusted to new conditions i managed to take a 4- l lead Dave held for 4-2, i held for 5-3 than managed to break to take the 2nd set 6-3 and close out the match. Cheers Dave look forward to playing again soon" -- David
- "A very tight match played over 2 days On day 1 Manuel the 1st set 6-4. Manuel took a 4-2 lead in the 2nd set playing very solid tennis. I turned the set around breaking back and holding for 4-4 & with 10 mins left till centre was closing i managed to break for 5-4 and hold to take the 2nd set. The 3rd set on day 2 was an epic we both held early then a strange run of 6 breaks in a row took us to 4-4 i finally held serve taking a 5-4 lead and had 3 match points in along deuce game Manuel resisted and held for 5-5. We both held are next service games to send the match into a final set tiebreak. It was a nervy affair going back and forth we found ourselves at 5-5 i then eeked out the last 2 point to take 7-5. Great match play again soon Manuel" -- David
- "Match played over two separate dates. The first encounter was very close with Dave consistently hitting deep and putting my backhand under pressure. A set with few breaks that could have easily gone the other way. When we resumed I served better and played with a bit more intensity. Dave hit some shorter balls and gave me more time on the forehand to find some winners. Still an enjoyable match, will certainly look forward to the next one. " -- Nick
- "Tough match today, I got the better of the early exchanges serving and returning well to go 4-1 up i broke again for 5-1 and served it out to take the set 6-1. The 2nd set was a much tighter affair Mike changed tactics and extended the rallies and started to serve better it was nip and tuck throughout until we got to 4-4 i hit a couple of doubles to open the door and Mike took his opportunities and broke he held to take the set 6-4. The 3rd set was a real war of attrition Mike was 2-1, 3-2 & 4-3 up. I managed to just about hold serve to stay in the set staving of a few break points to get it to 4-4. I finally created a break chance in the and managed too get the vital break to lead 5-4. I then served it out to nick it 6-4. Cheers Mike" -- David
- "I was anticipating a closely fought game with lots of slice, spin, impossible angles, Murray like defence and rapid counter punching. The first set took us both by surprise as Manuel hit lots of shorter mid-court balls that I could run around and use my forehand to to dictate. After exchanging service games at 1-1 I started to open up and hit some lines, corners (and net cords!) and didn't look back. To his credit Manuel didn't let this affect him. He adapted and started hitting deeper to the backhand then playing some lovely inside-in shots down the line. From 2-4 down Manuel fought back to 4-4. I had a chance to serve it out at 5-4 but needed another go at 6-5 up to clinch it. Well fought with plenty of heart and spirit Manuel. ¡Bravo!" -- Nick
- "Today's match was played at the Newport Tennis Centre. I managed to get off to a good start taking a 3-1 lead with some good serving. Tim didn't play his best tennis in the 2nd part of the set and I managed to close it out 6-1. I again got off to a flyer in the 2nd set going into a 4-0 lead. This gave me space to swing freely and with Tim not making his usual tricky wide serves I was able to take advantage to see out the set 6-1. Cheers Tim look forward to another game soon." -- David
- "We both made a good start to the match and there was some solid serving and decent baseline play on display. There were no breaks of serve until game 8 when Mike had a monetary lapse of concentration, double faulted and then overhit a few balls to give me a 5-3 lead. After blowing through a few set points, I was eventually able to pinch the first. The second set was a bit lower quality but still fun. I raced away to a 4-0 lead but Mike fought back to 5-3 and made me serve it out with meer minutes of court time left. Go easy on the Thursday night cocktails next time Mike ;) " -- Nick
- "A good match, played in good spirit. Scott's 1st serve caused me some problems early on coupled wirh a good flat forehand. The match came down to me being more consistent and less unforced errors. Thanks Scott for a good match and good luck for your remaining matches." -- Timothy
- "A really enjoyable match which was gruelling on the legs. The first set was nip and tuck with us swapping breaks throughout. We got to 4-4 and I managed the decisive break I then held to take a tight first set 6-4. The 2nd set was equally tight with some good tactical points again breaks were swapped in an even 2nd set. With great symmetry I managed to break again at 4-4 to go 5-4 and managed to close it out 6-4. Good game Emily and nice to meet you." -- David
- "There's always fun to be had playing Tim and this was no exception. Tim started off returning like a daemon, hitting some of the best returns I've faced which put my serve under huge pressure from the off. The first set was close and at 4-3 really could have swung the other way. Tim hit some great cross court slices and shorter chip returns which caught me off guard. I managed to break to go 5-3 up and then after what seemed like an eternity ( was it 8 or 9 set points saved?) finally served it out. As I'm sure Tim will admit he wasn't as sharp in the second and just made some more unforced errors which opened the door and enabled me to get some momentum going. Look forward to the next match together, well played sir!" -- Nick
- "Fate didn't want us to play this match. Bettws turned out not to have a net or even any discernible markings so we decided to give Belle Vue park a go instead. Luckily only one of the freshly repainted courts was being used for the ever popular 5-a-side footie over the net, leaving the other one free for dog walkers and tennis players alike. Just as I arrived, a lady let her rather large Bullmastiff relieve himself up against fence and then leave a sizeable deposit just past the service line on the deuce side. After a lacklustre attempt to clean it up she was gone and Scott and I were left with a danger zone to avoid at all costs. Despite all that it was an enjoyable game of tennis. Good to meet you & best of luck for future games Scott!" -- Nick
- "I raced out to an early lead , Scott was not able to find his best game in the first set. Some good serving my side and few errors from Scott I secured the first set 6-0. Scott started the 2nd set well landing some big first serves it was 2-2 early on in the 2nd set. I managed to hold for 3-2 then get the decisive break for 4-2 this gave me momentum and I managed to close out 6-2. Thanks for the game Scott good to meet you." -- David
- "Tim, I always make sure I’m on it when we play. Normally it is tight affair and every point is a hard won battle. Today I kept hitting the lines with Tim just missing. Eating my weight in Easter eggs before a match is obviously the way forward. Pivotal moment in the first set came when I was 4-1 up but 15-40 down on my serve. A couple of aces later and I managed to hold. My serve normally gets me into trouble rather than out of it so I was well pleased. The new serve is working well. Thanks Tim." -- Michael
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Gwent archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous Rounds matches for Gwent.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who play three or more matches by the mid-point of the Round receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize. Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link emailed to the player.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Players' names, W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added).
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form.