Friendly, competitive tennis on Rosemary Gardens' public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
Not quite ready? Register your interest and we'll get back to you
We will add you to the e-mail notifications of upcoming rounds. If you would like to stop receiving these e-mails just let us know
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA for adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are played to short-set format; if a set reaches 4 games all, the next game decides the set. If the match reaches a set all, a match tiebreak is played. (Long format matches may be played if both players agree.)
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllRosemary Gardens Singles - Round 10 | Thursday 11 April 2019 to Wednesday 5 June 2019 (Midpoint: Wednesday 8 May 2019)
Some really nice tennis played this round - just not quite enough of it! It can be hard to grab courts at this busy venue but don't forget for next round that short-format matches (playable in an hour) are perfectly acceptable in this league. Might make all the difference for next time!
If there is one man in Islington who knows how to set up (and win) tennis matches, it is Alex and he did a great job leading the field this round. His biggest challenge came not from group runner up Dario (who had two excellent wins of his own this round) but from David. David took Alex to a third set in a very competitive match. But no doubt who the winner is this time. Well done Alex.
- Alex Hicks 8.1 [W3] 8 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Dario Llinares 8.2 [W2, L1] 4 RUNNER UP
- Ernest Storga [W1, L2] 2
- David Beales 8.1 [L3] 2
- Bozen Zivaljic 10.2
- Diego Bonilla
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentAlex Hicks bt David Beales (Apr 28) 6-1, 6-7, 6-3
Not really enough matches for us to definitively state the very best player won, but at least three nice matches were completed. With three players tied on 2 points we have to dust off the rule-book to pick the winner. So, by the narrowest or measures, Rufus by conceding the fewest games on average per match is our champ and Liz who beat Jim (in a great match) our runner up.
- Rufus Reeve [W1] 2 WINNER
- Liz Sheehan [W1, L1] 2 RUNNER UP
- Jim Sykes [W1, L1] 2
- Arabella Packford [L1]
- Laurie Young 10.2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentLiz Sheehan bt Jim Sykes (May 24) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Rosemary Gardens archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Rosemary Gardens.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
In this short-format approved league, matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, and do count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)