St Albans & Harpenden Tennis League
Welcome to the league!
Friendly, competitive tennis on St Albans & Harpenden's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for adults (aged 18+).
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis, want to set yourself a challenge or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Interested in this League?
Join The League
New rounds for the St Albans & Harpenden league start regularly. See next round dates and entry fees above. Entries close the Monday before a round starts. You are never committed to joining more than one round and round usually last eight weeks (ten weeks where we also run doubles rounds).
We offer unbelievable prices on tennis balls. And league members get extra savings!
This is how it works
- Players are organised into groups of up to 8 people of a similar standard
- Players arrange their own matches
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is
- For everybody!
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Players are grouped by ability, so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA
- For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three tie break sets; if a set reaches 6 games all, it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group
- Players are grouped according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Everyone in the group plays each other once during the round
- You get one point for each set you win
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls).
- The winner of each group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winners get a certificate and tennis prizes
- Where possible, winners of the groups (and sometimes the top two) are promoted for the next round; those who come bottom (and sometimes the bottom two) are demoted
New to the league?
Click on the round you want to join (see the links above) and we will guide you though the process! You will be asked to pay the round fee and complete the player questionnaire which will help us get you great matches.
If you would like to register before you commit to a round, complete the form here...
Choose the round you wish to join from your account page, or choose from the links at the top of the page. And let the tennis begin!
If there is anything else you need help with contact us and we will be happy to help!
To book ring 01582 767722
FREE 1Life card gives league players a 25% discounton these courts. The 1Life card also gives you access to discounts at places such as Prezzo, ASK, paintballing, ATG tickets, among others so are well worth getting
An excellent facility, with three outdoor, floodlit and recently refurbished hard courts in the beautiful award-winning park, bookable 7 days in advance. An LTA Beacon site, this is a great place to play.
Greenwood Park Lawn Tennis Club
1 court* available for the general public unless it is being used by the club.
Cost £5, bookable at RA & CA Newsagents at the top of Tippendell Lane, 301 Watford Road, Chiswell Green, 01727 851 954)
A friendly, very inexpensive club is based here with a full coaching programme and doubles teams.
Information updated 12 January 2015
* The public court is unavailable at the following times:
Tuesdays evenings until 8pm; Wednesdays 7pm-10pm, Thursday evenings until 8pm, Friday evenings until 6.30pm, Saturdays 9-11am and Sundays 10am-1pm. There is plenty of availability during the day Monday to Friday, Saturdays & Sunday afteroon, and outside the times listed above.
3 hard courts and 3 grass courts; no floodlights
£5 per hour
League members can use all three courts free on Wednesdays 6pm-8pm and Sundays 9am-11am.
At all other times, they can get a 25 % discount on these courts.
The Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre
Phone: 01727 844 250
Brilliant totally restored performance venue with 6 indoor and 3 outdoor (not floodlit) courts.
Cost: Indoor courts: 1Life card holder (resident) £18.40, 1Life Card holder (non-resident) £20.30. Outdoor £7.60 (resident) and £8.40 (non-resident).
See the 1Life site for more details
London Colney Adventure World
01727 822447. 2 courts, not floodlit
Marford Road Playing Fields
Three, all weather floodlit courts, in a very pretty setting, the heart of this attractive village. The courts are also used by the local club. For more info see http://www.wltc.org.uk/
Napsbury Open Space
Two courts, free. For more info please contact London Colney Parish Council on 01727 821314 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sherwood Avenue Recreation Ground
2 courts, free.
Spencer Meadows Courts
2 multi-use courts. Bookable through D&S Village stores for £5 per hour
Colney Heath Recreation Ground
one court, free.
Collapse AllSt Albans & Harpenden Singles - Round 29 | Thursday 19 January 2017 to Wednesday 15 March 2017 (Midpoint: Wednesday 15 February 2017)
- Andrew De Csillery 7.2
- David Mincer
- James Douglas 8.2
- Miles Robinson
- Pavel Novotny 9.1
- Steven Dunn
- Sunil Mehra 9.2
- Aaron Paul 9.2
- Antony Parselle 8.2
- Chris Bryson 10.1
- Samantha Calderwood
- Stuart Mackay 9.2
- Susan Hoblin
- Thomas Abrahams
- Jonny Hatchman 10.1 [W1] 2
- Phil Chin 10.2 [L1]
- Charles Whitehead 9.1
- Lucy Webster 10.1
- Philip Jacobs
- Richard Washbrook 10.1
- Ashley Guinn 10.1
- Dave Martell 10.2
- Joao Cal 10.2
- Jonathan Sandars 10.1
- Sophie Stack 9.2
- Tim Kidd 10.2
- Tim Smith
- Richard Dodd [W1] 2
- Anna Marszal [W1] 2
- Ed Blake 10.2 [L1] 1
- Lucy Healy [L1]
- Matt Ralph 9.2
- Sarah Webster
Looking for previous matches? Visit the St Albans & Harpenden archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles and Doubles matches for St Albans & Harpenden.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a free can of balls which we will post to you.
Player, [LTA rating], [win/loss/tie tally], points won
We want to know what you thought of the match! Email us your comments to be included here. Be sure to include the following:
- League Name
- Singles / Doubles
- Group Number
- Your Name (optional)