Friendly, competitive tennis on Swindon's public courts
You are just a step away from joining our mixed-sex, singles league for men and women (aged 18+) of all standards.
If you have been meaning to get back into tennis or would like to meet new people to play, why not give it a go!
Close matches, close by.
Want to Get Playing?
From the dates above, choose your round and click on the Join By link.
FREE TENNIS BALLS
Every player who completes three matches by the midway point of any round is sent a FREE can of tennis balls! Plus there are great offers all the time in our shop.
This is how it works:
- Players are organised into groups of between 5 to 9 people of a similar standard
- It is a mixed sex, singles league, so men and women play each other
- Groups are put together by standard and there can be any combination of men and women in a group (we do not guarantee a balance of men and women and you could be the only man in a group of women or vice versa!)
- Contact details are emailed and posted to each player's account page
- Players arrange their own matches
- You can play on any court that suits both players
The league is:
- For everyone over the age of 18
- We welcome beginners as well as advanced players.
- Don't worry that you won't be good enough - playing matches is the best way to improve, and we use an online questionnaire to assess people's ability so you play only people of a roughly similar level
- Affiliated to the LTA For adults aged 18 years and above
- Matches are best of three sets; if a set reaches 6 games all it is decided by a tiebreak
- The evening before the round starts you will receive an email with all the contact details of the players in your group. Contact details are also posted to your Account Page
- Players are placed in groups according to past performance in the league and, for new players, their Player Standard Questionnaire
- Each player attempts to play each of the other player on their group once during the round
- A point is awarded for each set won
- If you complete three matches before the midpoint of a round you receive 2 bonus points and a bonus prize (either a pair of Local Tennis Leagues dampeners, or a tube of tennis balls)
- The winner of the group is the player with the most points at the end of the round
- The winner of the group wins a voucher for £20 to be spent in the Local Tennis League online shop. A winner's certificate is also posted to the winner's Account Page as a PDF file.
- Where possible, winners of groups are promoted to the group above for the next round.
See here for the complete rules and regulations
New players will need to complete the player questionnaire before they can join a round. Once you’ve signed up, and for returning players you can join any of the upcoming rounds above.
If there is anything else you need help with get in contact with Nigel, Sally and the team who will be happy to help!
Collapse AllSwindon Singles - Round 33 | Thursday 27 August 2020 to Wednesday 21 October 2020 (Midpoint: Wednesday 23 September 2020)
This was an action packed round of Swindon Tennis League with lots of close and exciting scorelines and everything from gusty winds to adjacent fitness classes to contend with... so well done for keeping your focus and completing nearly two thirds of all possible matches! Thanks for taking part and we hope to see you back in the next round.
Congratulations to Gianni for a successful defence of her Group 1 crown finishing in top spot again, although she was pushed all the way by runner up Nicholas. The pair both finished on 12 points from 5 wins however Gianni won their head to head to retain her title. Nicholas had to deal with "a game of heavy spin" against Matt and lots of deuces against Livio to win two close 3 setters.
- Gianni Gray 7.2 [W5] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Nicholas Newton [W5, L1] 12 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Matt Holland [W2, L3, UF1] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Livio Pavone [W2, L2] 7 includes 2 bonus points
- Vasco Silva [L4] 2 includes 2 bonus points
- Rishi Kumra [L2, UF1] 1
- Nigel Hopkins 8.2 [L2]
- Christopher Edwards 8.2 withdrawn
- Ricardo Pizarro
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentNicholas Newton bt Matt Holland (Sep 2) 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, 6-4
There was a runaway winner at the top of Group 2 with Jacob recording a clean sweep of 7 match wins to open a 7 point lead over runner up Carlos. Jacob's toughest test was against Chris which was as much a tactical encounter as anything as both players had to "play and think hard to figure out each other's, as well as our own games", while our 'Match of the Group' was Peter's truly "epic" win against Alastair that went all the way to [13-11] in the third set tiebreak... what a match!
- Jacob Hirsch-Holland [W7] 16 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Carlos Tavares [W3, L4] 9 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Chris Stewart-Smith 8.2 [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Alastair Kirk 9.1 [W3, L3] 7
- Carlo Lorusso 8.2 [W2, L3] 6 includes 2 bonus points
- Michael McNeilage [W2, L2] 4
- Peter Wilson 10.2 [W1, L5] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Uchenna Adimonye [L3]
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentPeter Wilson bt Alastair Kirk (Oct 20) 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 7-6 (13-11)
Charanya notched up 5 wins out of 6 to top the table with a comfortable 2 point lead over Dmitry although kudos to Dmitry for winning their head to head in 2 close sets. Sadly Joseph had to retire in the opening set against Charanya when it was "shaping up to be a really close match" while Tony recorded a solid 3 set win against Bill.
- Charanya Crome 9.2 [W5, L1] 12 includes 2 bonus points WINNER
- Dmitry Ivanov [W4, L1] 10 includes 2 bonus points RUNNER UP
- Tony Wilson 8.2 [W3, L1] 8 includes 2 bonus points
- Charlotte Phelps 10.1 [W1, L4] 4 includes 2 bonus points
- Bill Wescott [W1, L3] 3
- Joseph Murphy 9.1 [L1] withdrawn
- Ben Williams [L3]
- Gordon Heywood 9.2
Match of the Group:Reveal CommentDmitry Ivanov bt Charanya Crome (Sep 6) 7-5, 6-3
Looking for previous matches? Visit the Swindon archive.
The results listed here include the current and previous round of Singles matches for Swindon.
You earn one point for every set you win. Players who complete three or more matches by the mid-point of the round receive 2 bonus points, and a bonus prize (typically a free can of HEAD tennis balls). Bonus prizes must be claimed within 28 days using the link posted to the player's Account page. The link is also emailed to players.
Please note, while matches tied at one set all may be completed with a matchtiebreak, singles matches completed to this shortened format, do not count toward bonus points.
Understanding the current rankings display:
Player name, [LTA rating - if known], W - tally of wins, L - tally of losses, UF - tally of unfinished matches] 'n' - points won (if bonus points have been won a note to this effect is added)
Reporters of results are encouraged to leave a comment on the "Report Your Score" form. Additional commentaries may be added by submitting a result revision (see the pencil icon next to your results)